My pain

Sorry I did not explain very well.  I was the U.S. in this fight defending a small village.  I had two Sherman easy 8's killed the turn before and during the video I had 3 Jacksons killed by the King Tiger.  I hit him 13 times at ranges of 500 and 600 m.  The King Tiger on the move one shot killed all five of my tanks/TD  all I have left is my 57mm directly to his front at around 80m.

1 hour ago, Bloody Bill said:

Sorry I did not explain very well.  I was the U.S. in this fight defending a small village.  I had two Sherman easy 8's killed the turn before and during the video I had 3 Jacksons killed by the King Tiger.  I hit him 13 times at ranges of 500 and 600 m.  The King Tiger on the move one shot killed all five of my tanks/TD  all I have left is my 57mm directly to his front at around 80m.

Spray and pray!

Which, truth to be told, is probably about right.....Jabos effect on AFVs was much more psychological than physical as a rule. 

Despite the stories we hear from Falaise & elsewhere the actual hit rate for aircraft against AFVs was pitifully low, but they sure were scary (especially when your own aircraft were so conspicuously absent), which more than made up for the lack of actual lethality against a demoralised & routing force trapped in an ever shrinking pocket.

PS - My maternal grandfather drove through the aftermath of Falaise, I got the impression it was quite formative in his overall impression of the Normandy campaign, which he summarised thus.....'Dead horses & traffic jams'.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Hitting a tank-size target (or close enough) with the accuracy of the rockets used back then must have been a real challange...Not excatelly laser-guided weapons ;)

Did the west ever use anything resembeling the PTABs that the IL2s where equiped with ? Those things atleast seems like a far superior weapon compared to rockets...