maps CMBN

• 7 months later...

Hello guys!

I try to create an overlay for a map I want to make, it doesn't work.

I have the correct file-name (Special Editor Overlay) and the correct file-format (.bmp). Still, it appears only as black in the editor.

When I try Combattinmans .bmp file it works perfectly.

Anyone knows what the issue might be?

Cheers

Morbo

Edited by DasMorbo

What happens when you press the o key? 

Nothing - then you have either the wrong file name or it's in the wrong folder.

If the overlay goes black then you have no map image on the file - open it up in image editing software to be sure it is what you think it is.

If all else fails upload it so we can see what else it could be.

23 hours ago, IanL said:

I suspect that the file format is the problem. There are various variations on the BMP file format and the game is picky about what format it wants.

You nailed it! Found the problem (had to save in 24-Bit format) and now it works.

Thanl you all for your replies!

Good - glad to year it. This can be a bit confusing. Image editing apps have a fair amount of code to handle various file format variations - and even some of them have trouble with certain combinations. Games though, frequently assume that their collateral will be of a certain format so they can just load the image instead of spending CPU cycles and IO examining the file to see which version it is. Which makes total sense. Those of that mod have to pay attention to that and get used to it. This feature is the most customer facing image feature in the game and is bound to trip up a few people.