VP and Surrender question

Euri

As Bud-B says - the best mechanism is to use a 'Preserve' Objective. The VP allocation is entirely your choice but clearly to achieve the effect you want you will need to balance the points value you assign it against other points values you have allocated. You may need to experiment a little with this. For guidance on how VP calcs work, refer to the manual which explains the various ratios for the victory point levels. Some helpful soul has produced a VP calculator which may make this process easier although I can't find the link right now.

I understand all that alrewdy. My question was different. If enemy surrenders will one achieve a victory in all cases or still VPs do matter?

Imagine a simple situation. The enemy is inside the preserve objective. I bring the objective to the ground with artillery and the enemy surrenders. Is it possible for the outcome to be a defeat for me despite the surrender provided I set the preserve VPS high enough?

Try it out and find out.  The side surrendering would 'lose' per the games surrender protocol, but all VP would be assigned by the designer so it could result in a curious outcome whereby the side that surrenders gains more points than the side that wins.  Just do something simple and tell us the results and if the results are odd enough maybe something can be changed or fixed.

I will try it. Thought to ask if someone new. Actually I would like to see surrender not triggering an automatic win. Imagine for example a scenario with enemies barricaded in a large goverment buidling, or chemical facility or hospital. I would like to be able to set the preserve value high enough to prevent a tactic of blasting the building to the ground with artillery or HE fire, killing almost all inside thus causing a surrender

Edited by Euri

Then all you need to do is have part of your enemy force as reserves that do not arrive (additional to those that you already have planned for your scenario) - if your scenario is 2 hours long set the arrival time of three hours. This group (which can't be killed) will mean that the enemy will not surrender (so long as you make the group big enough).

Surrendering does *not* give either side an automatic win. What it does do is give the side accepting the surrender all unit ovnectives (minus any forces that have exites) and all occupy objectives. Other types of objectives are scored as expected. 

So, i believe the answer to the original question is yes. To figure out where to set the point levels consider a surrender as awarding all destroy unit and any occupy objectives to the "winning" side and then figure out how many points you need to create the outcomes you want. Then do a couple of tests to make sure things are as you expect.