CM:RT Maps in CM:BS

You have to open the map in a hex editor and change what game the map is associated with.

I haven't tried it, but I suspect you could pull CM:SF maps. Although they would probably just be topographic maps since there are so few shared elements.

For a while now I figured there was some sort of internal BFC method of porting maps since many of the QB maps and a few of the CM:RT and CM:BS maps are shared between games.

Scipio is the one who did the orignal legwork of figuring out how exactly it was done and Rokko brought it to my attention/ made a nice post detailing how to do it.

I'll continue working on getting map porting to be more reliable and maybe setup a sort of port rulebook once I figure out what causes issues and if there is enough interest. Right now I do know that the game will crash if you try to port a map with a non-modular building that the current game doesn't have an association for.

Edit:

Right now the process is just a lot of manual work, but is relatively easily done once you know what you are doing. The larger issue is knowing what the game can/cannot handle. I suspect this is why BFC hasn't released any sort of tool to do this. As it would require a certain amount of parsing of each terrain tile and then converting it into something else. not impossible by any means, but I suspect more work than it would be worth as it would be a programmer heavy job. So it becomes a map translator or airbursting munitions sorta problem.

I also want to mention that if anyone is interested in porting one of their older maps let me know and I can work on it. Right now I'm just trying different maps for no other reason than to see what works/doesn't so I can put that time into someone's map if they are interested.

Edited by Pelican Pal

You have to open the map in a hex editor and change what game the map is associated with.

I haven't tried it, but I suspect you could pull CM:SF maps. Although they would probably just be topographic maps since there are so few shared elements.

For a while now I figured there was some sort of internal BFC method of porting maps since many of the QB maps and a few of the CM:RT and CM:BS maps are shared between games.

Scipio is the one who did the orignal legwork of figuring out how exactly it was done and Rokko brought it to my attention/ made a nice post detailing how to do it.

I'll continue working on getting map porting to be more reliable and maybe setup a sort of port rulebook once I figure out what causes issues and if there is enough interest. Right now I do know that the game will crash if you try to port a map with a non-modular building that the current game doesn't have an association for.

Edit:

Right now the process is just a lot of manual work, but is relatively easily done once you know what you are doing. The larger issue is knowing what the game can/cannot handle. I suspect this is why BFC hasn't released any sort of tool to do this. As it would require a certain amount of parsing of each terrain tile and then converting it into something else. not impossible by any means, but I suspect more work than it would be worth as it would be a programmer heavy job. So it becomes a map translator or airbursting munitions sorta problem.

I also want to mention that if anyone is interested in porting one of their older maps let me know and I can work on it. Right now I'm just trying different maps for no other reason than to see what works/doesn't so I can put that time into someone's map if they are interested.

Could you tell me where i find this post of Rokko that details how to do this?

• 4 months later...