Confusion with purchasing units

Now that I've got the game running with 3.11, I was experimenting with Quickbattles and I'm confused about the costs.

When I click to see what comprises, say, a flak battery, I'll see a cost of 1000, but below that is a cost of 163+. What is this second number?

When I purchased the unit, the 1000 points would be matching but the individual flak units in the battery would not be 163 pts.

What am I missing?

The 163+ is the lowest case cost of the units within the Flak Battery. Although sometimes it could be lower than that and it is very often higher. The point cost of individual sub-units isn't determined until you actually choose the unit. When this happens the computer uses the basic parameters that are set below (experience, motivation, fitness, leadership) to pick units, however, there is some randomness which will cause each unit to be priced a little differently. All 4 categories will affect the cost of the units

The 163+ is the lowest case cost of the units within the Flak Battery. Although sometimes it could be lower than that and it is very often higher.

Ah, so I was right. I thought it had to be the individual cost, but sometimes indeed the actual cost was lower than the base cost.

The only thing that remains unexplained is why when I buy a recon section, I'll get cost 130 and 80, and upon purchase I'll have one unit that costs 80, but the formation (which appears to be just that one unit) cost me 130? You'd thibk that for one unit formation and unit cost would be the same.

Ah, so I was right. I thought it had to be the individual cost, but sometimes indeed the actual cost was lower than the base cost.

The only thing that remains unexplained is why when I buy a recon section, I'll get cost 130 and 80, and upon purchase I'll have one unit that costs 80, but the formation (which appears to be just that one unit) cost me 130? You'd thibk that for one unit formation and unit cost would be the same.

That's because every Formation you buy has a surcharge of 50 points. Likewise, every "Individual vehicle/team" you buy has a surcharge of 15 points. This is so you can't buy a hatful of different formations and pick only the very best elements out of them without paying a premium; you're better to buy 3 spare bazooka teams than an airborne company HQ which includes a few zook teams (or whatever).

That's because every Formation you buy has a surcharge of 50 points. Likewise, every "Individual vehicle/team" you buy has a surcharge of 15 points. This is so you can't buy a hatful of different formations and pick only the very best elements out of them without paying a premium; you're better to buy 3 spare bazooka teams than an airborne company HQ which includes a few zook teams (or whatever).

Ah, perfect, that makes complete sense. Thank you!

I'm trying to create ad hoc small battles. The idea is to play on really small maps with very small forces so that a friend and I can learn the game in stages. Plus both of us enjoy small engagements.

Quick Battles seem to have a minimum of almost 1,000 points to spend. Am I doing it wrong, I thought one could get less than that, but when I set map size on tiny and battle size on tiny, that seems to be what I get.

Frankly I was hoping for Half that. Aside from self-limiting ourselves, is there a way to make Quick Battles offer fewer points to both sides?

• 3 weeks later...

I have been begging them for years to have a force adjuster for both the attacker AND defender but it has fallen on deaf ears. I desire the exact same thing too .. which is to have small battles It seems the only thing we can do is to not allow the system to automatically choose units for us but to choose each sides units that way you can control force size but it takes away from the fog of war etc. 

If you play against the AI and you want the play Allied and the AI is German and you want to give them less points to make up there force AND, you do not want to defend but you want to attack what you could do but its not actually what you want to do but you could put the Germans as the Attacker and give them less points then your the defender but choose meeting engagement this way you are not sitting there defending but then neither are they but at least they have less points to make up there force