CMFI/Gustav DRM/License Questions

I'd like to pickup your CMFI/Gustav bundle, in your support forum there are several threads that state changes to PC hardware can cause DRM/license issues. Will the following be an issue?

1. Adding PC Memory?

2. Add/removing USB Devices?

Besides mouse/keyboard my PC may not have the same USB devices (cell phones, MP3 player, camera, external HD, flash drives, etc from day to day.

3. Add/remove HDMI monitors?

Changing configuration of a dual monitor setup, sometimes I run dual monitors, sometimes I don't.

What happens if there is an issue with you license/DRM system?

Can the game be installed and used on more than one PC (desktop & laptop)?

Yes, you can install the game on more than one computer, though the four activations aren't really intended to install on 4 different computers.

The DRM for CMFI, Gustav Line and CMBN 2.x is, unfortunately, overly sensitive to changes to your system (moreso than the previous version used in CMBN and Commonwealth). This was not our intent with the DRM, but it is the situation we are in now.

Regarding the DRM's response to the following:

1. Adding memory - this WILL unfortunately trip up the copy-protection system and produce an 'Error: errorcode' or 'License error' error. This will require using the gsClean utilities to delete activations and reactivate after the change. You really don't want to be changing your memory configuration often when it comes to our DRM.

2. Adding/removing USB devices - this can POTENTIALLY trip up the DRM. The DRM will make note of what USB devices are present at the time of activation. Having a different set of USB devices present or possibly missing while launching the game may result in the previously mentioned errors. Simply unplugging (or possibly plugging in) the USB device and relaunching the game should hopefully get you back to normal in regards to the DRM. I'm not sure what particular USB devices the DRM will pay attention to. A device with storage space (flash memory drive, phone, MP3 player, etc.) MAY not trip up the DRM, but I don't really know.

3. Adding/Removing HDMI (or DisplayPort) monitors - this can also POTENTIALLY trip up the DRM. We have seen customers attempt to run the game on a big-screen monitor hooked up via HDMI and that has tripped the DRM. Unplugging and going back to the previous display has allowed the game to run without deleting the current license activation. Changing configuration of displays (multi-monitor setup) may also trip the DRM.

4. Upgrading/changing device drivers - this can also trip the DRM. I'm not sure which particular drivers will trip the DRM, but video drivers and sound drivers updates may frequently do this.

In each of these cases you have to determine if the device/change is something that you want active while playing CM. If it is, then you will need to contact the Helpdesk and open up a ticket requesting the gsClean/CleanMachine utilities for your platform (Mac or PC/Windows) and the specific games/modules/upgrades you have (since you may need more than one utility). These utilities delete your current activation and allow you to reactivate (since the 'Error: errorcode' and 'License Error' errors do NOT allow you to reactivate when they occur). The utilities are unique to each game/module/upgrade, so you do need specific versions sent to you.

When activations are needed, we will typically add them when you open up a ticket in the Helpdesk. We will watch out for abuse of this sytem, so making too many requests will probably result in us declining to add an activation for awhile (and this would be a lot of requests, not just a few). We do try to get you running again, so there isn't an intent to rob you of your game because you made some changes.

With CMFI, Gustav Line, CMBN 2.0 and all newer games, Martin is the one who will have to add the activations. There can be a bit of delay involved with that since Martin has a lot of other responsibilities. So not every request will see quick turnaround and there can be a bit of delay in getting an activation.

When it comes to the configuration of your computer, you will want to decide what you really want (or the most convenient setup) while running the game. Once you settle on that, then activate the game. You will need to get the computer back to this state in order to play the game without tripping up the DRM.

If you make changes/upgrades to your computer, you may want to apply multiple changes at one time if you intend on changing a number of things. The idea would be to avoid having to delete activations and reactivate multiple times for each of your changes. Instead multiple changes are applied either at once or all of the changes are performed BEFORE running the game again, deleting only one activation instead of several.

WOW bit of overkill on detection?

I CAN understand Motherboard/CPU/Soundcard/Video Card

As that is an upgrade for the user...

But

USB

Adding Memory

Monitors

Upgrading Video drivers etc etc

COME ON that is way too much.

I know this IS a niche market

And we pay for that privilege.

Comes to the point.. HEY guys would YOU like to run my PC.. Because it seems like I am unable to with all these restrictions.

Please try and find another way. I pay to enjoy NOT Pay to worry about what i can and what i cannot put in MY PC without being punished. :)

im afraid i agree,i love BFC but the DRM and their TCP/IP hook up is a drag man.my PC is constantly evolving,i've found a few workarounds for HDMI and Ram changes,but it still catches me out at times.

an overhaul would be appreciated,sometime in the future

This may be a pain but compared to what EA has done (e.g. Simcity 5) it has been a breeze. I have only had to use the utility once and after a few clicks and a download CM was working fine again. And no need for a constant Internet connection. I have in that time changed computers twice with a few added upgrades thrown in for good measure.

I would say that in this day and age, this DRM has been the least intrusive (and I love that I can play without the disk)

I like that BF does not automatically treat me as if I am a thief. One of the reasons that I will never buy from EA again as long as they do. I understand the need for some DRM but I think that some games do not generate the revenue expected because they are just bad games. Piracy is then blamed and you get into a vicious cycle.

I can live with minimal DRM and pay for a good game.

For what it's worth, I've never triggered the DRM with a hardware or software change - and I've changed the video card, as well as plugged USB sticks, wireless receivers, and mobile phones in and out of the phone constantly. I suspect if I changed the motherboard, that might trigger it.

We have been improving (reducing this sensitivity) with recent releases. It was never intended this way, as Ian pointed out, but a combination of bugs and other circumstances has made especially very early builds extremely "nervous" when detecting changes to a machine. No huge deal because we can always reset this (ping www.battlefront.com/helpdesk), but certainly annoying when it happens. It's also somewhat unpredictable in that a bigger change may sometimes go ok where a smaller one could trigger the protection.

Riah69,

No worries mate. I guess this is what can make it so frustrating even for BF. One customer has a fairly good experience and the next just has frustration. Each computer is so different (3570k, 7850 2gb, windows 8 64bit) that it is hard to find the connection between the hardware and software problems. I guess I have been lucky but so far so good.

I have even been using Steam more and more on the advice of my kids so half of my objections should be thrown out but EA still ticks me off.