Tank Off Road Performance Tests and Possible Wackiness

There's always the possibility that it's a simple typo - viz. BFC meant to give the 4 rating to the Panther, but a transposed digit somewhere gave it to the Tiger instead.

As a programmer myself, I know how easily that can happen.

And you're right about both things :) It is easy to make a data mistake and there is at least one that's been identified so far. Specifically Charles found that he had too low of a ground pressure rating for the Tiger 1. That explains why it was coming out ahead when it shouldn't have.

He has checked the other ground pressures and there doesn't seem to be a problem with any of them.

And true enough, Charles is only using ground pressure with a "gamey" modifier to penalize vehicles which were known for having poor weight distribution (nose heavy, such as the JPz IV). However, I convinced him to give the German vehicles with interleaved wheels a slight bonus to conform with the spirt of MMP. I know from first hand experience that the science behind MMP is solid.

As far as I know... ground conditions + vehicle ground pressure + vehicle bonus/penalty + crew quality = chance of bogging. I also thought that speed had something to do with it, but it turns out that is not the case. Seems to be one of those things that was planned/discussed, made it into the manual, and has remained there even though it never was coded. I'll get that removed.

Steve

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news! This is exactly what I was hoping to see. You guys are on a roll this week :D

It's good to know that these sorts of things are modeled underneath the hood, and I take it that this answers Baneman's question regarding whether all "3-bar" tanks are the same.

Which leads me to the only other thing I would like to see happen, which is that when you guys do the UI revamp that shows more detailed unit information that this be included.

And you're right about both things :) It is easy to make a data mistake and there is at least one that's been identified so far. Specifically Charles found that he had too low of a ground pressure rating for the Tiger 1. That explains why it was coming out ahead when it shouldn't have.

He has checked the other ground pressures and there doesn't seem to be a problem with any of them.

And true enough, Charles is only using ground pressure with a "gamey" modifier to penalize vehicles which were known for having poor weight distribution (nose heavy, such as the JPz IV). However, I convinced him to give the German vehicles with interleaved wheels a slight bonus to conform with the spirt of MMP. I know from first hand experience that the science behind MMP is solid.

As far as I know... ground conditions + vehicle ground pressure + vehicle bonus/penalty + crew quality = chance of bogging. I also thought that speed had something to do with it, but it turns out that is not the case. Seems to be one of those things that was planned/discussed, made it into the manual, and has remained there even though it never was coded. I'll get that removed.

Steve

In some old version (can't remember which) speed was very important factor deciding whether a vehicle like a HT immobilized or not. At least in rainy conditions. Using Move command made driving possible, but Quick often meant quick immobilisation.