NATO module disappeared

Not sure what happened as everything was ok yesterday.

Then I did a routine AVG update and scan. And today, the game launches, but there is NATO module. I have the game patched to 1.32.

Should I run the NATO installation again, or will that take me back to an earlier patch?

Any other actions?

Thanks...

When you launch the game do you see the 'NATO Leopard 2' in the lower left corner of the main menu ? If so then the main game executable is set to use NATO (as I assume it would be). Next you will need to check your CMSF directories in the 'Modules' sub-directory of CMSF. Look for the 'CMSF NATO Module.exe'. My guess is that it is no longer there and that AVG may have quarantined it. If that is the case, then you will need to set an exception within AVG so that it doesn't scan these executable files.

When I start CMSF there is no NATO anything in the lower left corner next to USMC and BRITS.

I am traveling and away from that machine right now but am pretty sure there is no CMSF NATO Module.exe in the main game folder or I would have noticed it.

In the old version AVG I could go to the vault and that's where it moved stuff like this to and I could move it back. The new AVG version that was just updated prior to this problem... I can't find any quarantine vault or info as to what it did with the file.

Why it quarantined NATO and neither of the other executables is a mystery. Any help as to what my next step should be would be much appreciated...

Grrr.....

If the NATO module executable file is missing, then the NATO Leopard icon will not show. The 'CMSF NATO Module.exe' file is in the 'Modules' sub-directory, not the main CMSF directory. The British Forces and Marine module executables are there too (or should be).

Supposedly this article in the AVG forums lists the directory where the file should be. However it is dated in 2009 and I don't know how accurate it may be for AVG 2013.

How To Handle Suspicious False Positive Detection

If you can't find the AVG quarantine, then you will need to reinstall the NATO module and the 1.31 and 1.32 patches. You may need to temporarily disable AVG during the installation process. Re-enable AVG, but do NOT run CMSF yet, and add the NATO executable file to the 'Resident Shield' exception list ('CMSF NATO Module.exe'). If necessary, reboot the computer and with AVG still enabled, run CMSF and see if NATO now shows up and continues to show up with multiple launches.

Ok I found where the new version of AVG was hiding the virus vault and there was the NATO exec. So, I RESTORED it.

No joy, NATO still is not present in my modules folder.

I do have the NATO setup.exe file in the game folder so I tried that. It seemed to install, but when I went to launch I got: "Unable to execute file. (the location) Create Process failed: code 5. Access is Denied."

I also have the DVD so I put that in and installed via the DVD. But, again when I tried to launch, got the same message as above.

So, any idea what is going on?

Ok, so I disabled AVG and ran as admin and it was successful in installing the NATO.exe in the modules folder. :)

But, now the CMSF game doesn't launch at all. When I double click on either the shortcut or the exe in the main game folder, absolutely nothing happens. :(

(Is this anything to do with NATO being 1.30 and my CMSF was 1.32?)

OMG... wash yer mouth out with soap and water!! Anything but the dreaded reinstall.

Actually... after I REBOOTED, CMSF started up fine with NATO available. But, many of my saved games were gone. Aaargh...

Then I looked at the version and of course NATO is v1.30 while I had been playng v1.32. Phew... Fortunately, I have the 1.31 and 1.32 patches. So, after installing those (in the correct order for a change) all seems to be back as normal. (I hope.)

Thanks for al the encouragement. :)