PC Gamer review

Nobody my age or younger will Play by e-mail.

PPL your age???

Too bad..it's unquestionably the most challenging way to play this type of war sim and it's the main reason busy (working people) can fit a serious "game" into their lives. CMx1 had games that lasted months because of the extreme challenge of an opponent who thought out every move so completely especially as the game developed, you had to be very patient when your turn came to counter him..it became quite complicated and you needed that PBEM time. Your really missing out..I dare you to challenge someone at your level to a match and then post your thoughts at the end of the match! :)

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PPL your age???

Too bad..it's unquestionably the most challenging way to play this type of war sim and it's the main reason busy (working people) can fit a serious "game" into their lives. CMx1 had games that lasted months because of the extreme challenge of an opponent who thought out every move so completely especially as the game developed, you had to be very patient when your turn came to counter him..it became quite complicated and you needed that PBEM time. Your really missing out..I dare you to challenge someone at your level to a match and then post your thoughts at the end of the match! :)

While I totally agree with you about this, I also think that the future could bring some automatic PBEM. Which essentially means that the game would tell you when it's received a turn as well as receiving an email notification etc.

Not sure how easy this would be to implement but other games manage it.

Though I agree fully with your statement, I do not agree that Pbem (turn based) is very realistic. IMHO to get the real feeling of mayhem and carnage, RT is the way to go. It would be nice if a battle in real life could be paused and we all took a smoke break and planned our next move like a chess match. I am 45 and love the option of pbem w/o a clickfest but for a true grog, (which I am not) I would have thought that RT would have been the preference.

PC Gamer has NG's (non-grogs) as their reviewers. They are still looking for tiberium to collect to try to win. This game is too deep for their NG minds to understand, and I'm gussing they sucked at playing. Hence the lower rating than this game deserves.

Rob Zacny, the guy who did the review, is a wargamer from way back. He's also a regular on this strategy/wargaming podcast. Please avoid lashing out blindly, it makes you look silly.

I'm grateful that CMBN has it all: HTH, Wego PBEM, and real time play. To each his own. I just don't like it when people who prefer real time play claim it's more realistic, superior, etc. It may FEEL more realistic to the player, due to the chaos and time pressure, but it isn't more realistic in terms of actions or results on the map. That's because in CMBN the player has to think for all the units and make a lot of decisions for them that would be standard operating procedures for squads in real life. Rushing through that and making bad decisions for units, or missing things a real unit would have seen and reacted to, isn't more realistic. I would prefer RT myself if I only had to control the commander in the game. But that's not CMBN.

[RT] may FEEL more realistic to the player, due to the chaos and time pressure, but it isn't more realistic in terms of actions or results on the map. That's because in CMBN the player has to think for all the units and make a lot of decisions for them that would be standard operating procedures for squads in real life. Rushing through that and making bad decisions for units, or missing things a real unit would have seen and reacted to, isn't more realistic.

This is a good point, and it goes both ways. RT is more realistic than WEGO in some ways. WEGO is more realistic than RT in others. Neither is Realistic. I occasionally play RT, but usually play WEGO ... mostly because most of the games I play are PBEM. But also because I just flat out prefer the turn based structure and all that goes with it.

Jon

P.s. RT-with-pauses isn't RT ;) It's the red-headed stepchild of WEGO.

Rob Zacny, the guy who did the review, is a wargamer from way back. He's also a regular on this strategy/wargaming podcast. Please avoid lashing out blindly, it makes you look silly.

I regularly listen to and enjoy the podcast, he said he wasn't in the hardcore group of CM players who wanted realism or extreme accuracy, which (memory running on vapors here) is why he preferred the more simplistic/game-like CMx1.

I regularly listen to and enjoy the podcast, he said he wasn't in the hardcore group of CM players who wanted realism or extreme accuracy, which (memory running on vapors here) is why he preferred the more simplistic/game-like CMx1.

Fair enough, but I don't think that puts him in the "This game is too deep for their NG minds to understand, and I'm gussing they sucked at playing" group. Which is what I was addressing.

It seems there are plenty of people around here who (rather vehemently at times) have stated they still like CMx1 better, or at least they did until they got used to CMx2. I don't think they would be disqualified from reviewing the game either.