VT Arty?

Currently playing a QB in which I had a battalion of 105s deliver a preplanned prep fire on suspected German positions. When it arrived, I noticed about half of them were airbursts. Not tree bursts; there were no trees present to cause them. So how is this possible? Did the US army have timed fuses accurate enough to detonate consistently a certain distance above the ground available for 105 howitzers in Normandy? I understand that the VT proximity fuse was not released for surface to surface artillery until the Battle of the Bulge. Did BFC jump the gun a bit or what is going on here?

:confused:

Michael

Yeah, time fuzes had been used to generate airbursts since WWI. They aren't as consisten as VT fuzes since they can only be adjusted to something like 0.1 seconds, which at a target-end velocity of 300-odd m/s gives a variance of 30 metres. But airbursts are certainly possible.

Roughly 2/3rds of the rounds should be going off in the air, with the rest on the ground.

FWIW all preplanned arty seems to have this option. Well at least if its not a mortar, I dont think mortar shells can do this.

TRPs as well - you can do it.

I also think with FO's you *MAY* be able to do this with heavy arty- like the 240mm. I think so, but Im starting to think Im wrong because the scenario I had in mind had TRPs..

Germans also used "bouncing" shots with delayed fuzes, when the target area had hard enough ground and the guns positions and range allowed for very low angle shooting. Was particularly devastating in russia vs attacking infantry masses in rather flat and open ground. Don´t think germans had many opportunities to apply these vs western allies in 1944 though.

Germans also used "bouncing" shots with delayed fuzes, when the target area had hard enough ground and the guns positions and range allowed for very low angle shooting. Was particularly devastating in russia vs attacking infantry masses in rather flat and open ground. Don´t think germans had many opportunities to apply these vs western allies in 1944 though.

It was probably used on the Western Front as well. GIs either learned it from them or worked it out for themselves. Flat trajectory weapons were not working so well against dug in troops until they began using delayed fuzes and firing at the ground in front of the emplacement. It had to be done just so in order for the round to ricochet over the emplacement and for the fuze to detonate as it passed over. Probably didn't work all that well, but when it was the only thing that did...

Michael

Timed fuses were around quite a bit before WW1.

Mechanical timed fuses have been around at least since the ACW.

Not to totally betray my ignorance here.. oh hell why not fire away. - aren't by their very nature all fuses time fuses? Wouldn't it be just a matter of having a consistent burn length and knowledge of the time it took to get the projectile on target? (or where in relation to the target you wanted the explosive to go off)

aren't by their very nature all fuses time fuses?

Most fuzes are point detonating. I suppose a pedantic interpretation could be that even PD fuzes go off after a certain amount of time, but generally MT is seen to be synonomous with air-burst.

Wouldn't it be just a matter of having a consistent burn length and knowledge of the time it took to get the projectile on target? (or where in relation to the target you wanted the explosive to go off)

Sure. But that little word 'just' masks a vast amount of complication.

Wouldn't it be just a matter of having a consistent burn length and knowledge of the time it took to get the projectile on target?

Yeah, but there's a catch. Knowing exactly to the millisecond how long it will take a shell to reach the precise point you want it to detonate is a non-trivial problem, especially in the days before high speed digital computers. Also, having a mechanical fuze of sufficient precision and reliability even if you knew what numbers to put into it is another non-trivial problem. Fortunately, solutions to these problems were adequately worked out so that such shells would perform "well enough" enough of the time to be occasionally useful. But the proximity fuze was a much more accurate and reliable solution, and prior to its introduction the vast majority of artillery shells were either contact detonated or sometimes delayed.

Michael

Well I did ask for it. Gentleman I will go back under my rock and google some information and relieve myself of my ignorance.

It's an interesting subject. Not long ago I was reading a book about carrier aviation during the Korean war, and in one chapter the author mentioned that at one point fairly early in the war they were using proximity fuzed bombs to silence antiaircraft batteries. I had known for some time that such fuzes had been built for bombs, but this was the first mention I had encountered of their operational use.

Michael