1.02 crashes my computer when 1.01 didn't

Originally posted by Le Tondu:

It happens right after I enter a password for a TCP/IP game. :(

OK, maybe you need more info? The computer locks up right after I enter a password. "Control-Alt-Delete" does nothing. Hitting the "Esc" key does nothing. This even with a small map with low number of units. It just hangs there forcing me to reboot.

Could it be that there are no reports about this because no one has tried to play TCP/IP with 1.02 since the report of the PBEM bug????

I am still suffering from a harddrive crash and don't have two Windoze computers at this time.

Also the patch has been pulled but I'd really like to try it. Can anyone give it to me? But do not mail it to my email address, if you can give it to me I'll give you an upload location not involving email.

Okay, looks like the issue is with Zone Alarm and Nvidia and not CM (or the 1.02 patch) specifically. On some computer systems when the game tries to connect, Zone Alarm prevents the traffic but the video doesn't switch over to the firewall prompt, allowing you to add the program to the ALLOWED LIST.

We were able to replicate this with several online games including CMBB, and Diablo 2 among others. On a ATI video card equipped system, the firewall message did pop up, but on our test systems with Nvidia cards (using the latest official drivers), the game either froze (as is the case with CM) or simply would never allow a TCP connection to be established. Once the firewall was disabled, all games connected per normal.

The fix for now is simple, disable the Zone Alarm firewall. There may be some other settings to the Zone Alarm configuration which will also serve as a suitable workaround and we will report what, if anything new, we find.

We are trying to ascertain if the problem is with the newer version of Zone Alarm itself, or these new Nvidia drivers, as this was not a problem in the past with those firewall prompts correctly popping up on Nvidia systems.

It is more than likely that an update from either Zone Alarm or Nvidia will also resolve this issue. We will be sure to contact both companies and make them aware of the problem.

Since this issue is between the Zone Alarm app and the Nvidia video drivers, this is not anything we can address in our code. I will be updating the troubleshooting guides with any new info I can come up with.

Testing of the new 1.03 patch is progressing and we should be making it available to the public shortly.

Madmatt

You can pre-configure ZoneAlarm to pass a program through.

Bring up the Zone Alarm control applet from the system tray > go to the "Program Control" on the left-hand side menu > click on the "Add" button in the lower right hand corner and browse for the CM executable. When that program is added left-click on the blue question marks and make them all green check-marks ("Allow"). This should prevent Zone Alarm from coming up to verify that it should allow network access for the program.

Though, uh... I may be wrong and the program may stubbornly insist on coming up for verification.

Schully,

I tried that, I removed Cm and tried to add it, and I could not get it to work. Reading Zone Alarms web page, they suggest an expert setup, that was the solution to get around the Diablo 2 acting the same way. So, I need to work with someone who really knows zone alar,. Any volunteer out there?

Rune

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Well, assuming you have a Nvidia card and use Zone Alarm, it will occur again unless you disable the firewall in advance. We are looking to see if there is a way to preconfigure the firewall to accept CMAK as an allowed program without actually running it.

Madmatt

Sorry about not getting back sooner.

I do use a Nvidia card, --but I do not use Zone Alarm. I use Norton Internet Security and it had already been told to allow CMAK. Why would upgrading CMAK change that at all???

Not sure what 1.02 did (and I still believe it was 1.02) because it didn't happen with 1.01 before I upgraded to 1.02 OR after I reinstalled back down to 1.01. (My concern upon getting 1.02 was TCP/IP and not PBEM. I never saw the PBEM problem.)

It ONLY happens with 1.02. It will be interesting to see if this still happens after 1.03.

Hey, it certainly looks possible that there could eventually be an 1.04 in the works too. Holy cow.

I'm not an expert at Zone Alarm, but I'm not sure what they may mean by 'Advanced Setup'. For Programs all you can do is manually configure them and that seems to be about as advanced as it gets, other than under the "Firewall" menu there's an "Advanced" button with some check-box options.

On the left-hand side menu select "Alerts & Logs". Under the "Alert Events Shown" select OFF. This should hopefully turn off Zone Alarm's pop-up request. However if Zone Alarm is requesting access, then it doesn't seem to want to allow it to pass through anyway and a TCP/IP game would most likely still be impossible with it enabled.

I assume that the same thing may be happening with Norton Internet security. A popup isn't redrawing the screen correctly or CMAK is having a hard time handing over the 2D screen to the popup.

It worked before I upgraded to 1.01.

It worked after I upgraded CMAK with 1.01.

It didn't work with 1.02.

It works now after I uninstalled & reinstalled CMAK and then upgraded CMAK back to 1.01 without doing anything to my firewall.

I don't claim to be an expert either, but I don't understand how the problem could be anything but CMAK?

(I am just trying to be helpful here so you guys won't experience the same thing.)

We just released the 1.03 patch so let me know how it works for you.

If it still locks up, please email me directly at matt@battlefront.com and describe EXACTLY what you see, what software you are running (version #'s etc..) so I can try and duplicate the same situation on my end.

When it comes to firewalls though, there is little we can do and more than likely the workaround will be to simply disable it outright.

Madmatt

Because the firewalls are smart enought to know it is a newer version of the program, it will automatically ask if you want to grant it access to the internet. NIS and Zone Alarm both do this, the newer version triggers the question. I do NOT know if it is nvidia or the firewall or the combination yet, as I am still working on this. Turn off the firewall, and it works, which proves it is NOT CM. Also I have the exact same problem with other programs like Diablo 2 and Dungeon Siege and others.

Rune

Exactly junk, and it should in CM also. It worked as advertized for Matt and his ATI card, but i have an NVidia 6800 card, and I cannot see the prompt to allow it access. So not sure if it is nvidia or the firewall. I just tested the 66.93 and the 67.50 nvidia drivers and they both do the same thing. It does it on three separate computers. Newest Zone Alarm. I can't roll it back, but turning it off, I am able to conenct no problem.

Someone have the 45 version [older] of Zone Alarm to test this with? First with old nvidia drivers then the newer drivers.

Rune