Georgian Map

I was wondering if any of our map makers have suggestions for maps of the Georgian country side. Also are there any qb maps some might suggest for the same. By the way I mean the country. Not the state. Anyway, I was thinking of a Marine intervention in Georgian/Russian war of 2008. I know a while back someone had said they might do a campaign on the same subject. I never saw anything of it though.

Ok. I didn't know Cry Havoc was set in temperate and I do have the NATO mod.

Yeah Cry Havoc has some more wooded terrain. If you have NATO you could try Panzer Angriffe. It's based on the Armour Attacks map but I added loads more trees etc so it looks more temperate - especially if you are modding your game with the Syrope mods :)

Where most of the fighting was, it wasn't that wooded. Around Gori it was farm fields and substantial rolling hills, some orchards and villages etc. Actually a lot of fighting was in the villages. Tskhinvali qualifies as a town and is just urban. Gori actually is sort of spread out.

But in any of those places there's usually high ground where if you can get on top of it you can get pretty good LOS.

Around Poti and on the coast that's pretty dern flat, but also fairly built up. Although there wasn't much actual fighting there.

If you want to simulate the heliborne assault into Kodori Gorge, that's different, that is real mountains and fir forests and little tiny fields and big water cuts, and if it's not a road the vehicles probably can't go there.

That's where the fighting was. If you want to simulate what could have been then the sky's the limit. Georgia has terrain from absolute Alpine super-rugged mountain not even infantry can cross it, to old-growth forest to bush to desert and just about everything inbetween. Georgia I think is supposed to have pretty much every climactic zone there is on earth except tundra.

If you do do a campaign please do consider including the two Chechen security battalions that fought on the Russian side, they were the ones the Georgians were really scared of and are just the sort of troops wargamers love to have.

It's pretty lush and tropical around Batumi, also there are tons of beach resorts. Definitely palm trees are an option. Here's a pretty generic view:

06c.jpg

The Chechen mercenaries weren't there.

If you landed US Marines in the Batumi/Poti area the opposition would be first Abkhazian militia, then Abkhaz army units (which actually are reasonably well-trained and -equipped) and then Russian Marines a/k/a Naval Infantry. I guess if you really pushed things there might even be a platoon or two of Russian spetznaz operating in the area, and they might very well be used for standard infantry tasks.

The naval infantry units came from Sevastopol and so you are talking elements of 810th Naval Infantry Regiment (they've since become a brigade) and 382nd Independent Naval Infantry Battalion. The 382nd is supposed to be a particularly well-trained unit with a long history, they were the guys that crossed the Danube in inflatable boats during Budapest 1945.

I know that during the war the Russians landed BRD infantry carriers and T-72-type tanks in Abkhazia, which went on to overrun west Georgia, Poti, etc.

As to air it would depend on which side would up the ante more.

Thanks for the photo. Some good information there on the other units that operated in the area. I figured Marine because I think it's the most reasonable scenario. I can't see the Army road marching out of Iraq, through Turkey to get to Georgia. I thought of airborn operation between Gori and Tablsi but it would be hard to relieve them I would think.