Trees request

Possibly one for the wishlist:

Most maps have a lot of trees which look great but that make it impossible (for me anyway) to see whats going when the battle is underway. So i set the trees to the middle setting of close range trees removed. However you miss quite a lot and it is hard to see when visibility would be blocked from tree coverage.

Is it possible to have a higher level of transparentc setting for trees so you can see them (or at least their outline) but you can still see your troops buildings etc. behind them at the same time?

IIRC, someone brought this up before and BFC has stated that transparent foliage, while definitely "on the list" of things they'd like to get in the game, is difficult to implement well because it tends to be a framerate killer -- it puts a high demand on the graphic processor.

So I don't think we'll be seeing it anytime soon, unfortunately.

The irony of this is that visually CMBN is worse than CMx1 for much of the playing time, for me.

I play mostly at "range" of 4-7, at which range the men are little ants and the trees all have to be turned off: I'm basically playing with square icons moving around a green map.

In CMX1 you could leave trees on and still see stuff (bases) and most importantly, the "Scale" feature meant that you could still see "what" the men are. _And_ in CMx1 you get a visual indication of what it is that all those "contacts" are. In CMBM it's just a field of information-less markers.

The movies of action are cool, but we pay a high price for that.

GaJ

Graphically, CMBN works for me. Maybe this is a "I'm from Mars, you're from Venus" kind of preference thing. Personally, I'd hate to see the return of command lines, fire lines or balloon-headed truppen that can be scaled to Brobdingnagian proportions. Aesthetics matter. It's not only the mechanics.

I love the look of the maps and to zoom in and see so much detail, even being able to tell from the spray of builts the uncontrolled fire of a hand held mg42 etc. But for ordering groups of troops I find impossible with trees on, and understanding line of sight etc difficult with them off.

Eh. Lack of a transparent foliage option is not a game-breaker for me. Would it be nice? Sure. But the "show nearby trunks only" + floating icons system works fine for me. If I need to find a unit, just click on the floating icon and tab to jump to its view point.

And I definitely don't need or want Gulliver-sized pixeltruppen running around in Lilliput. This was a reasonable gameplay aid for CMx1's more abstract system, but IMHO such a thing would be totally out of place in CMx2's more detailed modeling.

But to each their own...

For now the best thing I suggest is get in the habit of turning the trees on and off while you are reviewing the map and giving orders. I find that I need the trees off to give commands but need them on to understand what the terrain around each unit is really doing. The middle setting is ok, but it can mislead you as to terrain up close, the tree trunks alone do not really tell you the situation of what is around the troops at times.

It comes back to getting the camera in the troops low level view points to really get a feel for the terrain. Easy to do in Wego, RT players just cannot afford to do this at times, so they have a reason to gripe. I would hate the game if I was player at level 4-7 all the time.

It really comes down to how was this game meant to be played.

WeGo is the chosen path. As Slysniper alludes, you can place orders "from high" and then zoom down to watch your men during the replay (with with all eye-candy 'on'). As many times as you like...

I honestly think this is the only way to play the game. RT can't do this game justice.

LOL I am sure RT players are gonna hate that answer, but as a WeGo player I have to agree. I seem to recall Steve saying he plays mostly RT, but I just feel I miss far too much of why I bought this game playing it RT.

Wait till we get the Bulge game and folks start designing Huertgen scenarios, think trees are bad now? :D

The irony of this is that visually CMBN is worse than CMx1 for much of the playing time, for me.

I play mostly at "range" of 4-7, at which range the men are little ants and the trees all have to be turned off: I'm basically playing with square icons moving around a green map.

In CMX1 you could leave trees on and still see stuff (bases) and most importantly, the "Scale" feature meant that you could still see "what" the men are. _And_ in CMx1 you get a visual indication of what it is that all those "contacts" are. In CMBM it's just a field of information-less markers.

The movies of action are cool, but we pay a high price for that.

GaJ

GaJ -

Well said.

Your comments exactly mirror my experience with this game.