Orienting fortifications

Sure I should know this or should be able to work it out but have failed to find how to modify, in setup phase, the orientation of trenches etc and cant spot relevant info in Manual.

Any brief hints for the afflicted much appreciated......

Just place the pieces of fortification next[\b] to each other in the shape that you want. They will adapt automatically and rotate to the correct facing.

You have to put two or more down adjacent, in the orientation you desire. They'll snap together to make a line. Then you can (since 1.01) move the sections where you want them and they'll retain their orientation. If you haven't patched yet, single sections always run the same way (N-S?)

Sure I should know this or should be able to work it out but have failed to find how to modify, in setup phase, the orientation of trenches etc and cant spot relevant info in Manual.

Any brief hints for the afflicted much appreciated......

Me too. With barbed wire I can make them link up ok but cant rotate them when they are in single sections. Also cant figure out what I did to rotate them when they are connected. Sometimes they rotate and sometimes the sections separate. Move and left click is the only command that I can get to have any effect and that is erratic. Are there others? thanks for any help.:)

To get a diagonal bit of wire:

1. Lay down a bit of wire.
  2. Put another one on the action spot diagonal to the existing wire in the orientation you want it. Overhead view is best for this.
  3. The wire sections click together to make a diagonal line
  4. [i've not done this bit, but the patch notes asssure us that:] If you move either bit of wire after this, it will retain its orientation.

You can substitute 'Trench' for 'wire' in the above method.

There are no 'face' commands for linear fortifications, I'm afraid; it's all in how you plonk 'em on the map.

So in effect orientation is not possible with only a single piece of trench or barbed wire etc--------rather like todays British Military intending to "rule the waves" with no aircraft carrier materialising for 10 years------ I was being too miserly with my expenditure for any fortification to be effective................

Cheers

To get a diagonal bit of wire:

1. Lay down a bit of wire.
  2. Put another one on the action spot diagonal to the existing wire in the orientation you want it. Overhead view is best for this.
  3. The wire sections click together to make a diagonal line
  4. [i've not done this bit, but the patch notes asssure us that:] If you move either bit of wire after this, it will retain its orientation.

You can substitute 'Trench' for 'wire' in the above method.

There are no 'face' commands for linear fortifications, I'm afraid; it's all in how you plonk 'em on the map.

I gave it a try and learned a couple of things. When the two sections join they don't always rotate to the diagonal. If it doesn't rotate click move and then left click for just a very small move, like you are trying to bend it, and if you get the distance just right both sections will rotate in the direction that you tried to "bend" the two sections. If the move command is too far they will separated and just the one will move and yes it will still be in the same orientation as it was when it was connected. If you don't get the distance far enough nothing will happen and you have to reselect "move" and try again.

• 2 weeks later...