Click Fest?

Hello Again:

Really want to get into this game. As you can see from my other thread I was struggling with tanks. Another thing that bothers me in a scenario like Chance Encounter is the number of units to manage (I think it is 3 platoons each with 3 squads, schrek and MG teams plus many officers). Especially in the early stages when you are just moving to contact are there any tips for reducing the click fest? For example, is it ever reasonable to give a platoon, maybe minus the leadsers and special teams, a hunt command. If OK how to do this? I think double-clicking a platoon headquarters selects all units. Can you then deselect some from that group?

You are probably laughing at me as this is probably a small scenario!?

Any help appreciated.

Gerry

When your troops aren't under threat, you can doubleclick a unit, and all the members of its organisational unit will be highlighted orange. They can then all be told to move en bloc. If you click a squad or a platoon HQ, you'll get the platoon highlighted, if you click a Company HQ you'll get the whole company highlighted. If you click an XO team you'll get the Company command elements highlighted. And so on.

Or you can hold shift and drag a box over the units (their positions on the ground, not their icons) to select them. Be sure you've deselected your previously selected unit when you don't want them included in your new selection.

Once you have a group selected, you can remove elements by shift-clicking them.

<snip>Another thing that bothers me in a scenario like Chance Encounter is the number of units to manage (I think it is 3 platoons each with 3 squads, schrek and MG teams plus many officers). Especially in the early stages when you are just moving to contact are there any tips for reducing the click fest? For example, is it ever reasonable to give a platoon, maybe minus the leadsers and special teams, a hunt command. If OK how to do this?

Yes absolutely, I do this often in the early stages. In a meeting engagement that is now winding down the first 15 minutes I used a lot of "move the whole platoon at once" orders. I started by getting them setup in the setup zone in a good fan pattern and then selecting them all and quicking them into the forest. After a few minutes of quick moves I switched to hunting. Then when I got close to the objective and was in the range of possible enemy encounter (if he had mechanized infantry with HTs then his guys could be close) I switched to assault commands. This was a large force on a large map. Different situations call for different levels of caution.

I think double-clicking a platoon headquarters selects all units. Can you then deselect some from that group?

Double clicking on a section will select the whole platoon too. As someone mentioned you can <shift>click on units to add or remove them from the group that is selected. I also use "show paths" (<alt>P) so I can see the movement orders I have already given. It is handy for coordinating where large groups are going when you want to carefully place each unit.

You are probably laughing at me as this is probably a small scenario!?

No way man we all have to deal with this. The first turns of a medium or large battle always take me a long time to get things setup.