Saving Private Ryan

I have just made a battle,representing the final battle from Saving private ryan. Was it 2 tigers and 2 panzer 1v's?What is the correct tanks for this? (It is almost impossible for the Americans to win) and I have made it as realistic as possible with a MG .03 and a sniper in the church!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GERMANS- 2 Tiger1, 2 Marder3, 1 platoon of Infantry (3 Squad, 1 PHQ, 1 MG, 1 Panzerscreck), maybe 251/Halftracks attached for transport, 1 20mm flak w/transport

Americans- 1 Platoon Airborn Infantry ( 3 Squad, 1 PHQ, 1 30.Cal MG, 1 Bazooka, 1 60mm Mortar, 1 Sniper). You might want to substitute the Airborne with Engineers to reflect the greater chance to knock out the Armour and Infantry.

There should be American Reinforcements for play balance on turn 10: 5 M4A3 75 Shermans, 1 Platoon Armoured Infantry, 1 Air strike mission.

[ March 26, 2004, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: JoMc67 ]

Not to spoil the fun, but besides the occasional converted French tractor-turned-assault gun, or maybe a bonifide "Marder", I believe the germans historically could at best only muster up a couple of old Renault tanks from pz bn. 100 during the time frame and location of Pvt Ryan. Maybe redoing one of the SPR scenarios with these tanks in the OB would be kind of an interesting situation?

just a thought.

simovitch

Not to worry, rune, my scenario was most forgettable! Wild Bill's scenario has the advantage of giving the American an actual chance of winning. ;)

Mine was an exercise in seeing how fruitless it would be to try and depict as accurately as possible the situation in the movie. Not being able to model molotov cocktails and hand-thrown 60mm mortar bombs was a bit of a burden. Ditto not being able to use the church steeple to advantage. ;)

However, the head count is supposedly accurate and I did the map from some photos of the actual set that were featured in AFTER THE BATTLE magazine and a book released about the making of the movie. Incidentally the same town set was used for all the locations after D-Day, just shot from different angles.

Of course, just as in the movie, the game turns dramatically with the arrival of Allied air support.

The AI is just as dumb as the movie Germans, driving the Tigers right into town, however even the AI doesn't run all the infantry right up main street.

It's tough to get the AI to do things as stupid as movie bad guys.

Note the scenario for CMBB based on Stalingrad up at the depot (I forget who the author was), same kind of idea.

I'd also defy anyone to come up with a Kelly's Heroes scenario in which the Allies get a couple of squads and a 76mm Sherman, and manage to wipe out a town full of Germans including three Tigers (!)

Most movies make bad fodder for good scenarios. Maybe CMX2 will let us roll barrels of gasoline down slopes to blow up M48 King Tigers. I will look forward to Andrew Fox's Spanish Army Camo mods for the US trucks.

Originally posted by TANK ACE:

acutally if you listen to Cpt Miller, when Jackson is telling him what he sees, Miller says "... infantry 50 plus Jag..." watch it again. The guy that falls out is the commander sticking his head out of the copula in the tank.

He says "fifty plus change" actually. Meaning 50 plus, more than 50, 50 plus one or two more, etc.

I remember him saying jag or jagdpanzer or something like that. It was a good movie effect coming from a GI. But I interpreted it as a reference to the open top TD's (marders) as apposed to the closed top tanks approaching. Interestingly, on the flip side ive read accounts where the germans called the US M-10, or any of our TD's "Jagdpanzers".

Originally posted by simovitch:

I remember him saying jag or jagdpanzer or something like that.

I watched it just last night. "Tiger tanks, times two, panzer tanks, times two...."

Interestingly, on the flip side ive read accounts where the germans called the US M-10, or any of our TD's "Jagdpanzers".
Probably because most German soldiers spoke German. ;)

tigers X2 and panzers X2 eh? i wonder if spielberg was uninformed, or trying to recreate the common problem GI's had when they incorrectly or ambiguously identified enemy tanks.

along the same lines; did he include tigers in the movie, knowing there were none in that part of normandy, but for the fact that "every tank was a tiger" (and every gun an '88) to most GI's. And so we see in the movie what the GI saw in his mind?

or did he think that it was just "cool" to have tigers in the movie and only a few history buffs would catch the inaccuracy, or even care?

my guess is the latter. sigh...

Originally posted by simovitch:

along the same lines; did he include tigers in the movie, knowing there were none in that part of normandy, but for the fact that "every tank was a tiger" (and every gun an '88) to most GI's. And so we see in the movie what the GI saw in his mind?

or did he think that it was just "cool" to have tigers in the movie and only a few history buffs would catch the inaccuracy, or even care?

my guess is the latter. sigh...

SPR

Check out the German equipment link.

Tiger tanks, times two, panzer tanks, times two...."

Acutally he says Tiger tanks, two of them, panzer tanks, two of them, infantry, 50 plus jag! he says jag. watch it again.

And look at the tank that blows up the bell tower, pause the movie and look at it, just look!

just look at the armor and the copula.

[ March 29, 2004, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: TANK ACE ]

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Tiger tanks, times two, panzer tanks, times two...."

Acutally he says Tiger tanks, two of them, panzer tanks, two of them, infantry, 50 plus jag! he says jag. watch it again.

And look at the tank that blows up the bell tower, pause the movie and look at it, just look!

just look at the armor and the copula. </font>

Dude, he says "plus change", and the tank that knocks out the church tower is a Marder III, which to Parker and Jackson would have been "F'in tank!" The camera angle is such you can't tell, but it is the same open-topped tank that Horvath knocks out with the bazooka later, and the same type that was molotov cocktailed
HEY DUDE if u pay close attention you can see its a jag.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Dude, he says "plus change", and the tank that knocks out the church tower is a Marder III, which to Parker and Jackson would have been "F'in tank!" The camera angle is such you can't tell, but it is the same open-topped tank that Horvath knocks out with the bazooka later, and the same type that was molotov cocktailed

HEY DUDE if u pay close attention you can see its a jag. </font>