SUggested Campaign order?

Hi all, a new one to CM at all and so to Normandy espacially here. I played tutorial campaigns Devon and Task Force Raff. After these campaigns: what is the next suggested campaign related to difficulty level? Courage and Fortitide or Road to Montebourg? (actually dont want to play german campaign Panzer Marsch).

I started with Courage and Fortitide on Veteran, but at the latest the second mission is very difficult to me and so learning curve rises very much. Ok, I finished 2nd scenario, some helpfull threads are available about the this topic. But I ask me if it's not to hard for a beginner who is not aware all the nuances CM provides.

Did I start the 'die hard' campaign? Usally the learnig/difficulty curve is smoother in games. Or IS Combat Mission exactly this?

Please don't missunderstand me: I realy enjoy playing CM:BfN and want to inverst time to master the game because its worth this (the demo already has more to offer than many AAA-titles), but I ask me if it really should hard work.

Sincerly, Axel.

The Road to Montebourg is a brilliant campaign, but it ain't easy. In fact a couple of the missions are jolly difficult (8.9 on the Shoutng at the Screen Index). If you want something with a challenge but doable for a relative newcomer I'd suggest downloading teh Devil's Descent Campaign (see seperate thread fro reviews).

For my money, Campaigns aren't really the place to learn the game. Sure, they teach you stuff, but one of the big fascinations with them for me is the "What happens next". Campaigns are the biggest format for that in the game, and having to go back over "what's already happened" because you've buggered it up through lack of game mechanic understanding is something I, personally, would rather avoid as much as possible.

That said, Courage and Fortitude is a beast. If RTM is more difficult, I'd be surprised, since C&F hands you some pretty messed up situations where you are required to recover from the mistakes of your incompetent superior officers.

Not C&F, whatever you do!

I've played CM in all its iterations since CMBO, and this was the hardest and most frustrating campaign I've ever played. It was made more frustrating by the fact that it was apparently designed to be so.

Furthermore it's large - battalion plus size, and that for me is too many units for either RT or WEGO.

As Blackcat suggests, Devils' Descent is SPOILERS...

A company-level campaign with extremely limited vehicular presence.

An excellent way to learn infantry tactics at least and at a very manageable level.

R

I am not playing any of the campaigns yet as I think V1.01 will make some significant gameplay changes. And I would hate to be mid-campaign when the changes occurred!

: )

AIUI, it wouldn't be too bad. You'd only have to deal with the version difference until you'd finished the current scenario, then you could upgrade the engine and start the next scenario in that.

Still, I sort of wish I hadn't started on campaigns (or scenarios, for that matter) til I'd played a few more QBs with some more variation in conditions/OOB.

Ditto to above: download Devils' Descent. There are two monstrously difficult missions in C&F, and Road to Montebourg also has a couple of potentially devilish missions, dependant upon your chosen axes of advance and AI plan drawn.

Another good little campaign to try out if you want to learn is bardosy's "A Bridge too Close" mini-campaign (played as US). It has three battles on the same map - first is a US paratrooper attack on a lightly defended bridge, followed by a counterattack by the Germans in HTs, and finally, for the finale, a two-company-per-side slugfest after both sides receive armored reinforcements. Great fun as it builds up from small infantry units sneaking through the hedgerows to a big fat all-out battle with all kinds of goodies and unusual units. Just finished it and recommend it highly. Not too difficult either IMO.

Missed this one. Yes, I'd go with 'Devil's Descent' as your next campaign as well. I have never played any of the C&F missions (way too many units to control for my taste) so I have no idea how RTM stacks up against it difficulty-wise. For the most part, I'd imagine RTM is a lot easier though. Only three of the sixteen missions were intentionally designed to be 'difficult'. The rest were designed to be fun.