Defending... Boring?

I played the 2nd tutorial mission where you 'defend' the town and was sort of clueless as to what to do...

I just left everyone in the set up positions and maneuvered the little group to 'check out the noise' and used them to flak a little... along with the eventual reinforcements. And I did direct my mortars...

Basically I didn't do a thing with 80% of my forces and still won handily... much less to do it seems that when attacking.

What am I missing?

I think the tutorial is very different from most actual defensive missions in that the default defensive positions are the best defensive positions; for most good defensive missions, that's not (or shouldn't be ;)) the case. IMO the deployment and the use of reserves and artillery is what makes defending interesting.

Attacking AI is balls. Always has been in every game ever. If sitting back in the positions given to you at the start isn't your bag why don't you use some initiative and get aggressive?

I can't think of any tactical game in which I enjoyed purely defending against the AI, nothing new here. Plans have eliminated almost all of the truly horrible and game-wrecking AI foul-ups of games-past, now designers need to be able to imbue groups with decision-making ability and we'll be cooking.

Passive defense IS pretty dull (and against decent enemy troops will get you beaten more often than not). Try playing an active defense. The hammer & anvil method can do wonders in annihilating the enemy. Simply have part of your force keep the attention of the enemy troops while the rest flank them to catch them in a crossfire. Something perversely satisfying in having an OK enemy troop total of 0 at the end of the game.

Jyri

Yep, active defence is the way to go. Get small groups behind his lines, seek out his FOs, commanders & heavy weapons in transit. Break up his attack and set up ambushes. Get SMG heavy troops into woods to hit and retreat behind arty barrages – great fun.

The tutorial missions, not so much.