Details, details, details

I am finding you really have to understand the details of the game, I was in my CMX1 mode of thinking.

I had machine guns behind the low stone walls of a map, The problem was I had them deployed.

So I am playing and I notice my guns are behind the wall and are set up too low to shoot over the wall, oh man, get them things undeployed - That appears to be the only way that they can then rest them on the top of wall and fire.

What are things that you have found you must think of as to getting units to respond correctly within the game.

i find i have huge problems getting MG's to work through hedgerows for the exact same reason...

all of the team except the gunner sets themselves up near the hedgerow so they can see through, but the gunner always deploys too far back...

True, forgot about that one, yes I have been leaving them undeployed there also, so that they shift up to the berm.

The "Face" command is very important. As long as I set a Face command perpendicular to the hedgerow at the final waypoint, I don't usually have a problem getting MG teams to deploy their weapon so that they can fire through the hedgerow.

One thing to watch out for is the hedgerows that cut across the action square grid diagonally. In these cases, if you want the MG to be able to fire over the hedgerow, you're usually better off deploying the MG on an action square that's bisected by the hedgerow, rather than one that just has a corner touching the hedgerow. While I've been able to get good deployment on the latter, it's definitely more finicky since only a very small part of the action spot is right up against the hedgerow.

The "Face" command is very important. As long as I set a Face command perpendicular to the hedgerow at the final waypoint, I don't usually have a problem getting MG teams to deploy their weapon so that they can fire through the hedgerow.

One thing to watch out for is the hedgerows that cut across the action square grid diagonally. In these cases, if you want the MG to be able to fire over the hedgerow, you're usually better off deploying the MG on an action square that's bisected by the hedgerow, rather than one that just has a corner touching the hedgerow. While I've been able to get good deployment on the latter, it's definitely more finicky since only a very small part of the action spot is right up against the hedgerow.

The face command helps but I have still had problems, but it might be what you have described in the second statement

Ok, my Mg guys still have no clue as to how to deal with a wall, the rest of the squad is kneeing and firing over the wall, but the MG gunner is prone taking him out of the battle, what does it take to get them to set up on or fire over a wall they are next to. Or is it another one of them things the game cannot handle right now.

How about leaving them undeployed? At least (some of ) the light and medium MGs should become "semi-deployed". Better than nothing.

American MGs don't seem to have a 'semi-deployed' state. They're either Deployed or Undeployed or don't need deploying (if BAR counts as an MG :) ).

What are things that you have found you must think of as to getting units to respond correctly within the game.

I found trusting the map more than CMx1 a big help. WYSIWYG. Especially for LOS. Once you learn a few rules about hedges.... and remember to turn the trees back on...

OTOH, that sort of betrayed me in a recent game. What seemed a muddy street was a muddy street with Mud to either side. Not at all what I expected looking at the map... but with hindsight the cues were easy to see.

And the match up between doors/windows and firing points at times seems 1:1, and other times it doesn't. (It's only really seemed to matter for barns.)

But all in all I do better trusting the map than not.

I am finding you really have to understand the details of the game, I was in my CMX1 mode of thinking.

I had machine guns behind the low stone walls of a map, The problem was I had them deployed.

So I am playing and I notice my guns are behind the wall and are set up too low to shoot over the wall, oh man, get them things undeployed - That appears to be the only way that they can then rest them on the top of wall and fire.

let me ask the question differently. I have german mg's, cannot remember if they are 34 or 42's, but is there anyway to get them to set up and shoot over a low stone wall, so far I am having no success.