Keep only one tank in OOB

I am trying to make a little scenario for TCP/IP fighting by taking a quick battle map and giving each side a little force.

(because random QB force selection is too weird to play head to head)

I create a reinforced platoon (one tank, a little bit of artillery, etc).

For the Dutch force I start with a Manoeuvre Battalion (1 tank Co, 2 mech Inf Co's) and delete everything but a tank and a inf platoon (plus necessary HQ units to maintain the line of command).

But the force buying screen doesn't allow deleting for the second last tank, whether it is a tank in a platoon, or the HQ companion tank. Why is that so?

When I take another battalion (a tank Bat), I can delete everything except one platoon tank, but then there is no command link between the infantry and the tank.

Or is there an implicit command link between top level commands in a scenario?

Another way to do it, particularly if you want to have something like a company only and do not want the battalion HQ is to make the battalion HQ a reinforcement and have it come into the game well past the scenario time limit. This works with platoons as well when you only want a platoon in game but have C2 with the Company HQ off map.

I find that sometimes I can delete all the battalion-level units (leaving only the platoon- or company-level units I want), sometimes I can't (i.e. the battalion CO is undeletable). It seems random to me; or at least I haven't determined the criterion/criteria for being able to delete all the battalion-level units. Maybe it just depends on which formation (i.e. USMC Infantry Battalion vis-a-vis Syrian Mech Airborne battalion) one is trying to trim down.

...is to make the battalion HQ a reinforcement and have it come into the game well past the scenario time limit.

I've used that technique so often that I've got my own term for it - the HQ goes into 'Exile'. That's what I name 3-hour reinforcements for my 1-hour battles. :) I believe in one of the earlier game patches they made things so that 'exiled' HQ remained in chain-of-command contact with on-map units. I believe even the HQ properties would filter down as well (fanatical or low morale for instance).

About not being able to to delete high HQ units, I think that has to do what what gets deleted on what order. A couple night ago I couldn't delete my Battalion HQ so I reinstated all the units beneath him and re-deleted from the top-down. Got the Bttn HQ to delete that time.