Histoical footnote - WW2 rocket powered bunker buster

Today's wiki front page features a "did you know" about a WW2 V-2 launching bunker in Nth France.

In the "Subsequent investigations and utilisation" section there is a link to something called a "Disney Bomb" - which turns out to be a rocket propelled bomb designed by the RN, inspired by a Disney film (hence the name) and only ever dropped by the USAAF.

the RN's interest in such a weapon (none of its a/c could carry it) was in attacking U-boat pens.

One was dropped on the afore-mentioned bunker as a test in 1945, and retrieved some time recently

I worked in one of the buildings supposedly hit by them and this is the first I have heard of them. The Grand Slams are well known, as they left a bit of an impression but I will have to look in to these.

A bit puzzled it fell to the US to drop these as the Brits clearly had the ability and will to drop exotic ordnance from their aircraft.

I suspect the US go the job of dropping them because it required precision daylight bombing which was supposed to be their forte.

Except that the Tallboys (and later the Grand Slams) were dropped in daylight with at least as great precision. I'm sure there was a reason, but I don't think we've hit on it yet. I know that General Spaatz was not happy about having his bombers diverted to hitting missile launch facilities—mainly V-1 ramps—and in the case of the latter were much better dealt with using dive bombers.

Michael

Yeah I though of 617 sqn daylight bombing oave r the weekend too....

this note from the wiki article may explain it tho' - "this" is why it became a joint venture between hhte RN & USAAF:

The reason for this is unclear. Several source (Freeman, pg. 228. McArthur, pg. 280) cite unspecified technical reasons that prevented the use of British aircraft. The British Avro Lancaster had a bomb bay large enough to accommodate two Disneys side–by–side, and sufficient lifting power. It is possible the RAF thought their Tallboy and Grand Slam bombs were adequate and did not want to divert resources into deploying yet another bomb that would simply accomplish the same task. American interest in Disney may be explained by the previous failure of their attempt to produce an anti-bunker weapon, the Aphrodite Drone, that had left them without the capability of attacking heavily fortified targets.

Basically the RAF thought the heavy bombs sufficient, and the USAAF needed something in a hurry.

Plenty of proof that raids on rocket launch sites were not as effective when done by high level bombers.

The reason the Americans needed something was PR as for the Limeys to have something so superior and the Americans nothing was not a slight to go unpassed. AND to have a rocket device was much more hi-tech. There was no urgent battle need for such a weapon.

As for the production rate of the big bombs I am sure if there had been sufficient targets to make the effort worth it then more effort could have been made to produce them more quickly.

Producing them more quickly was beyond UK industry at that point - new plant would have had to be set up in the US and the bombs shipped. As it was they had enough to assign to relatively few crews on strategic targets. Wasn't Tirpitz was sunk by a Tallboy? Smashed out its bottom and sank upright in the fjord or something, fooling the recon planes.

A few pictures scanned out of Roger Freeman's 'The Mighty Eighth.' According to the captions these are Disney bombs being dropped on E boat pens at Ijmuiden on 14 Mar 1945.

Each Disney bomb grossed 4500 lbs and were released at 20,000 feet. They dropped conventionally to 5000 ft, at which time the roket motors ignited, accelerating them to 2400 ft per second, (according to Freeman). They were designed to penetrate 20 foot of concrete before detonating.

It is well worth remembering that reinforced concrete wasn't really overcome by weaponery until 1940 with hollow shaped charges at Eban Emael. On the Allied side, the Brits tried more and more explosive weight (they of course were concerned with attacking U boat pens long before the V1/2 sites reared their ugly heads).

So attacking anything made of reinforced concrete was still trial and error until the end of the war.

Nice video here;

Diesel; still sore about being underpaid, undersexed and under Eisenhower?

post-15860-14186762293_thumb.jpg

post-15860-14186762293_thumb.jpg

post-15860-141867622932_thumb.jpg

Producing them more quickly was beyond UK industry at that point - new plant would have had to be set up in the US and the bombs shipped. As it was they had enough to assign to relatively few crews on strategic targets. Wasn't Tirpitz was sunk by a Tallboy? Smashed out its bottom and sank upright in the fjord or something, fooling the recon planes.

Yes, except she turned turtle, rather than settling upright.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Catechism

30 Tallboys! I guess they finally got sick of piddling about.

And Grandslams and Tallboys couldn't be produced in a hurry. They took a couple of months for each one to be machined and packed.

not sure that's altogether relevant tho - B-17's & B-24's couldn't carry the big RAF bombs could they? So ramping up production for the USAAF would have been pointless.

I know B-29's could - apparently they could carry _2_ extrnally 1 under each wing root - for experimetnal purposes at least!! :eek:

I recall reading somewhere they poured the explosves into the big bombs and it took a week or 10 days to cool the Tallboys down - can anyone confirm that??

I recall reading somewhere they poured the explosves into the big bombs and it took a week or 10 days to cool the Tallboys down - can anyone confirm that??

Wiki actually says a month for the Torpex to set. And that was just one step. The bomb casing also took a long time to machine because it was done to very fine tolerances to get the right spin stability. Hence my comments about the production lag.

Artillery shells were (are?) also filled with molten explosive that was then left to cool and solidify ... but presumably for less than a month. But the process was known, although Tallboy and Grandslam dialled it up to 11.

Oh on a last note, the Disney bombs were designed and funded by the RN.-

Apologies to Stalin's Organist, he made (very astutely) this very point early on in the thread.

Ironbar

Some of us comprehend what is written on first reading : ). The US developing yet another British idea certainly is a tribute to the UK genuis. That tactically there was no urgent call for it and it was more a PR exercise to show that the US was technically advanced even if it could not develop and deliver the biggest bombs I still believe - but everyone can believe whar they want.

As for Eisenhower I think he was a very good choice. And you must know I have no problems with the US soldiery - the political system maybe, the late arrival to major wars and early arrival for non-wars I blame on politicians. And my view on the governance of the USA is one of deep sadness. : )