Look at that lovely view through the windo... ahhh!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great linky Lemuel. This does seem excellent info.

Stucco [rendered] seems a unlikely description for a stone built building but it is possible that at the time it was rendered. The current pictures show it as natural stone.

Armchair General has more to offer with more links and a discussion of tacticsa

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11655&page=4

Dammit, there is always somebody with a better story! :D Did I say pheasant? I meant hummingbird...

Is this the digressing my mum warned me against...?

Yes it is, at least that is what she told me last night. Now THAT is digression.

Did I say wild boar? Sorry it was a stunted mouse.

(mind u that shot has never been repeated before or since so is probably more arse than class)

What was great was the Sgt Major, rather than bollock me for not engaging the proper targets dispatched his black lab on a 1.2k round trip to collect the unlucky bird and brought him back. Good drills! We let him eat it rather than risk adding it to the range stew...

Great linky Lemuel. This does seem excellent info.

Stucco [rendered] seems a unlikely description for a stone built building but it is possible that at the time it was rendered. The current pictures show it as natural stone.

Armchair General has more to offer with more links and a discussion of tacticsa

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11655&page=4

Yeah, I gotta concede that - the manor building as it stands today is a pretty impressive stone structure, one of those French houses that looks like a little castle, it was exactly the same during the war (except it lost the front wall on D+1 to German howitzers). It must be noted that Dolan was not very specific on which building in the complex the Germans occupied, it could have been one of several.

The cover of this book has a good picture as-it-was: http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=h3qgjf5AhT8C&printsec=frontcover&dq=no+better+place+to+die&hl=en&ei=mxQEToinNoPqrQe_0sGeDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

I took two things away from that account I think are relevant to this debate: despite their stoutness, and utterly dominant positions overlooking the bridge, at no point in the battle are the houses in the manor complex utilized for anything other than a hiding place for some lonely German conscripts, and later an aid station was established there in a blind-spot; the second is that the German defenders who did use the farmhouse were isolated and destroyed with much more ease than those who took up positions in the hedges on the Eastern approach to the manor.

I have no personal experience with being in a stone house under fire, and no evidence on hand to back up my feelings but (much like OP), I imagine the stone would keep bullets in as well as keep them out, which (presumably) would create extra hazard due to stone splinters breaking off the interior and zinging around in any and all directions, along with all kinds of crazily-ricocheting bullets. Not exactly saying it's a death-trap, but certainly that there's no good reason to complain about your guys getting zapped when they holed-up in the second-story of a building in view of an enemy formation.

I presume there are some mild abstractions involved in the cover and protection of buildings due to limitations of the 1:1 modeling (lack of furniture etc, troops exposing themselves unnecessarily).

I would like also to know what is modeled concerning building-shrapnel, is it 'in there'?