A question about the things below the hood...

Having fallen in love with the idea of morale ever since I played the first Close Combat on a friend's computer many years ago, I have to wonder what's going on under the hood of Combat Mission. I wonder how much information is available for each individual soldier. I'm curious as to whether we could modify the game to display this information or track it. Lastly, I would love to know how much toying with the campaign system it would take to have something like the Close Combat V: Invasion of Normandy strategic game.

When your squad leader dies, someone else steps up in the squad. The name of your leader changes to this newly promoted grunt. Is that information already inherent in the game and just not displayed or is it picked at random? Is rifleman number two in my squad always Joe Snuffy or is the new leader's name picked upon promotion? Given the CMx2 engine and its ability to track each individual shot from each soldier, could we track kills by soldier? If the death of one man results in specific equipment and ammunition loss, are kills tracked by the individual also? If all of this individual level of information is present, can we bring it to the surface somehow?

We can track ammunition and artillery spent from campaign mission to campaign mission, or at least I've been fooled into thinking so, but how much messing with the engine would it take to keep track of damage? Would it be possible to have branching campaign maps that reflected differing levels of devastation based on victory points? Maybe not an exact count and recreation of every single crater, but I know that having "Preserve" markers could track what was and wasn't wrecked by the end of the battle. It sounds like a lot of work, and I'm sure it would be, but I would love to take a crack at it if it's at all possible.

The strategic level of some of the Close Combat series would be very welcome into this series. Fighting on the same map over the course of several "battles" was amazing in that game and could really add to the fun. Sure, the last scene of Saving Private Ryan was cool but didn't you want to see the battle that flattened the town before then? Why not play the battles from pristine countryside to cratered wasteland with dwindling supplies and reinforcements? Supply lines would need to be modeled for a strategic and persistent game world like this. Some of my fondest memories are of battered airborne units trying to hold on until relieved against armored SS units for just one more turn.

Thanks for reading this rambling post. I hope anyone who knows whether this is possible or not will respond. My programming abilities are mediocre at best and anyone who knows what goes on under the hood of this game would be a goldmine of information for me.

Welp, you can't mod anything but the sound and graphics...and with those you can only manipulate what's there to begin with. Some textures like buildings, unis, helmets and weapons can have multiple textures added along. Sounds can have extras added as well.

BFC says they will never open the code to any kind of fiddling, be it stats, models or anything else.

However, I think at some point they do want to have persistent map damage.

As far as I can tell kill stats are tracked by team, and or squad I guess depending on how much you split them. I am guessing leaders are picked by name as guys are killed or squads are split.

Mord.

Awhile ago I was checking something and discovered that pixeltruppen do appear to be individually named and the game is keeping track of them. I noticed it when splitting and recombining teams in a single squad different ways. Always Jablonski getting the job of second in command. Same pixel guy with same weapon with the same name, so they aren't being assigned randomly.

A little bird told me that awarding 'medals for valor' is on their eventual wish list. That implies that they're keeping track of individuals, right down to their names.