Scout Command

I posted this on the "things I would like to see thread" but decided to open a thread and see what other players think about it. Rite now we can select a scout team but all you can do with them is to order them to walk over there and get shot. The "hunt" command tires them out too quickly to allow them to scout to a useful distance. If the "move" command is used they get into a gun fight as soon as the enemy is sighted. I think a "move to contact" type of command would be very functional in the early part of a battle. Maybe it could be written to where the scouts upon first contact would immediately go to ground and withdraw out of contact. This contact should cause an enemy icon to appear and would be equivalent to the scouts reporting back and saying " hey sarge there are some Krauts just over this hill" Does anybody else think that this would be a useful command?

Yep, sounds logical. We've asked for more specific movement and cover arc commands and I hope we'll see some but it sounds like it will be a while yet...probably have to wait for the first full new module release on the Battle of the Bulge. What will come before then will be mostly new variants like AFV's, scenarios and maps, as I understand BFC's postings. They have said that new commands require a lot of programming and testing to work and they do not anticipate that happening for a while. I'm betting on late 2012 at best.

I actually haven't had any issues with using Hunt for this purpose yet. at least, my Scouts haven't been getting overly tired. Maybe it's because I generally have my scouts stop for a listen/observe pause break every 50-100m.

It's amazing what you'll discover if you stop and listen every once in a while...

I actually haven't had any issues with using Hunt for this purpose yet. at least, my Scouts haven't been getting overly tired. Maybe it's because I generally have my scouts stop for a listen/observe pause break every 50-100m.

It's amazing what you'll discover if you stop and listen every once in a while...

My buddy has a similar expression "turn off transmit, turn on receive." His polite translation of "shut the f**k up". Would be nice to hear that once in a while instead of "Let's get some noise discipline here".

My buddy has a similar expression "turn off transmit, turn on receive." His polite translation of "shut the f**k up". Would be nice to hear that once in a while instead of "Let's get some noise discipline here".

Sounds like a good idea for a sound mod. Not that I'm necessarily a fan of excessive vulgarity, but eventually I'd like to install some voice files that are a little less NSFW... I've read enough Studs Terkel to know that most WWII infantrymen knew what the F-word was, and I'm sure it got used plenty in the stressful environment of the battlefield.

The "hunt" command tires them out too quickly to allow them to scout to a useful distance. If the "move" command is used they get into a gun fight as soon as the enemy is sighted. I think a "move to contact" type of command would be very functional in the early part of a battle. Maybe it could be written to where the scouts upon first contact would immediately go to ground and withdraw out of contact. This contact should cause an enemy icon to appear and would be equivalent to the scouts reporting back and saying " hey sarge there are some Krauts just over this hill" Does anybody else think that this would be a useful command?

This is a good idea. I really miss the engage command in CMAK/CMBB, which was very useful IMO. I also feel that hunt sometimes is too slow, but I guess that's what scouts do.

Sounds like a good idea for a sound mod. Not that I'm necessarily a fan of excessive vulgarity, but eventually I'd like to install some voice files that are a little less NSFW... I've read enough Studs Terkel to know that most WWII infantrymen knew what the F-word was, and I'm sure it got used plenty in the stressful environment of the battlefield.

LOL honestly I'd get tired of hearing it after a bit anyway.Sometimes when I have a large group of GIs in an area I swear I'm listening to a grade school outing. :-P Keep moving, quiet down, everybody stay together, Jimmy stop playing with the dead german!

Thanks for the tips. I'll "sit for a turn" every other move or so. May be able to spot something that way and there is the bonus of resting between "hunts". As I understand it you can't hear an enemy that you have not already spotted visually. Hopefully I'm wrong on that.

As I understand it you can't hear an enemy that you have not already spotted visually. Hopefully I'm wrong on that.

My understanding is that the player won't see an icon ('cept maybe a generic 'contact' icon) for a unit that isn't counted as "spotted", but that sounds which your units could detect may, in appropriate circumstances, play a part in determining whether an enemy element graduates to "spotted" or not.

++1. I find myself wondering if players use pause as much as they should in many instances. Currently in a game my infantry has to cross a field of about 300 meters. I have them do it in bounds of 30-40 meters using Quick and then stop for a breather. If their state at the beginning of the turn is not at least Ready, I pause them for 15-45 seconds before having them proceed. Staggering what times they are in motion also helps provide spotting and covering fire while their buddies are moving.

Michael