A cool little discovery (TIPS)

Ever since CMBO came out I've wanted a command like 'Covering fire for X amount of time then stop'. Well, I just figured out how to do that in CM2. When you plan your area fires add a pause to the firing unit, then plot a movement order on the spot they are already sitting on, and add a cover arc to the move point. Your squad will fire until the pause runs out, reorg, and then cease fire.

I have found this helpful when assaulting the hedgerows if you time it right, your men will stop firing just as your maneuver teams reaches the next hedge. It's a good way to save ammo and minimize FF casualties.

I wonder if it works in CMSF...

Ever since CMBO came out I've wanted a command like 'Covering fire for X amount of time then stop'. Well, I just figured out how to do that in CM2. When you plan your area fires add a pause to the firing unit, then plot a movement order on the spot they are already sitting on, and add a cover arc to the move point. Your squad will fire until the pause runs out, reorg, and then cease fire.

I have found this helpful when assaulting the hedgerows if you time it right, your men will stop firing just as your maneuver teams reaches the next hedge. It's a good way to save ammo and minimize FF casualties.

I wonder if it works in CMSF...

That has been in the sticky posts of CMSF for years, with many variations, like scoot and shoot. You can compose very elegant choreographies that way.

Another thing to know is that if you have a squad assaulting a building or other location, you can give them an area target to their destination - this will pin any possible defenders down and they will automatically cancel that target when they get there (and engage the enemies if there are any present). And if you give a mid-waypoint (maybe with a 5 sec pause) prior to entering the building, they are more than likely to throw grenades inside first.

Another thing to know is that if you have a squad assaulting a building or other location, you can give them an area target to their destination - this will pin any possible defenders down and they will automatically cancel that target when they get there (and engage the enemies if there are any present). And if you give a mid-waypoint (maybe with a 5 sec pause) prior to entering the building, they are more than likely to throw grenades inside first.

Now that is really cool! :)

I can see that it is going to take forever to really discover all the possible tricks in this game and master them...but it should be an interesting journey.

Michael