Panzerschreck teams open up with rifle fire first

This problem has plagued CMx2 from the beginning. In CMSF, antitank teams will open up on vehicles with assault rifles or rifle-grenades while the Javelin or rocket guy is still lining up his shot.

It almost always happens when you give a direct target command from an antitank team to a vehicle. CMSF needs an "armor only" target command just like it needs an "armor only" target arc command.

are your shreck teams inside buildings? My opponent complained about this too, until he sent me a screen capture to prove his point. His shrecks were hiding inside a building. You know if they'd fire the panzeershrecks, the backblast would kill them.

Nope, in the bocage.

One solution is to not give a target order. Left to their own devices, the panzershreck teams will have the At gunner target vehicles and the guys with rifles mostly do nothing. If you give a target order, you are ordering everyone in the squad to fire at the vehicle. Sadly that means there is no way to tell the AT asset which target to fire at if there are several vehicles in sight; you can risk a target arc, but the danger there is that the vehicle you want to shoot at moves out of the arc before you get a shot off.

(To be honest, I've not tested this in CMBN with specific AT units, but that was my experience with ATGMs, RPGs and javelin teams in CMSF: if you let the AT troops pick their own targets they will usually do a decent job without requiring a target command).

I too find that in this game, it is usually best to let the units pick their own targets. When I add cover arcs or specify targets is when I get the most undesirable result. Exceptions: I will use 360 arcs to limit firing from units that I want to stay uncommitted or unseen and I will use targeted area fire to suppress suspected or known enemy locations.