New file at the Repository: La Meauffe (2011-06-01)

Here's little more info about this scenario.

0650, 12th of July 1944, North of Saint-Lô.

35th US Infantry Division landed on Omaha Beach, Normandy, 5-7 July and entered combat 11 July, fightings in the Normandy hedgerows, north of Saint-Lô. In order to launch divisional assault on Sain-Lô, Hill 122 overlooking Saint-Lô must be taken. Only river Vire and small village of La Meauffe is between our final objective. Germans from 897th Infantry Regiment are known to operate in this area. Infantry from 1st Battalion of 137th Regiment supported by two Shermans and Engineers will assault over river Vire and take the village of La Meauffe.

Your mission is to clear crossing over river Vire. Your primary objective is to clear and secure Château next to the village.

Secondary objectives are assaulting the village and taking La Mairie Inn overlooking road to Saint-Lô. Also if possible scout Château's South-West road crossing.

CM%20Normandy%202011-05-31%2020-47-17-24.jpg

La Meauffe features prominently on my Le Carillon master map. Looks like you've captured the essential feel nicely. Well done!

Thanx. Yep, I noticed that you have the same project. :) This one is much much more smaller scale and not so ambitious as your project. But still fun to play.

Terrain around La Meauffe is great for scenario. No wonder why US advanced slowly. It was the artillery that played a big role and and I tried to capture that feeling in this scenario.

Had a ton of fun with this! The map is great, plenty of detail with some challenges. I blew through all my smoke on the crossing, so it definitely wasn't a walk in the park for me (used iron diff).

Thanks, De Savage!

While I had taken most everything else, the game crashed as I was just about to take the crossroads, and I hadn't saved in at least 25 minutes (too much fun) so I'd like to extend a friendly reminder to all readers to save often while playing!

Very well thought out map. To begin, I got lucky at the start. In CMBN just like in RL every set of eyes count. The more eyes in an area, the better . A set caught that crack AT hidden. Woowee. Luckily i had my tanks for the whole match. Without them it would have been a nightmare. There's bocage fighting. But I'm a pimp at it so it was no sweat. The map aka the Germans try to route you to Killing Zones repeatedly. Just got to look before you leap. knowing that, that pill box still caught me. lol I got laxed, i was rolling. I thought my troops had LOS. It was nothing my surviving tanks couldn't solve :) While my tanks took care of that. I pounded the main objective to death. Houses collapse and all. But those mofos held Strong. I had them surrounded. Funny thing, while i was playing i was saying damn these guy ain't giving up. wasn't til after i saw their vet level and said "so thats how they get down". .They finally gave up, but they took a few more of my men than i liked.

Still got a totally victory. It wasn't perfect. But war isn't.

How I would improve?

Stay as meticulous as i was with the river crossing.

USE all my artillery.

Never assume an area is clear Do'h