Something missing... but still in love.

Fundamentally, Charles can spend several weeks coding up a "to & penetration chance routine", and then the Betas can spend a week or two testing and debugging this. Or, they can put the same energy into putting another feature into the game, like flame weapons and fire modeling, or gun & mortar pits, or star shells, etc. Personally, I'd prefer one of the latter.

And some people would prefer the former, obviously, hence this thread. I certainly would like a little more detail on a number of items that were in CM1. Not essential, but I would like them more than a few flashy, but hardly essential units.

I stuggle to see how BF can implement some sort of hit/kill probability stat that will be in anyway meaningful to the user, let alone do so without adversely affecting the performance of the game.

We know that there are a large number of variables involved in calculating where a round will go. To present a hit probability these will all have to be calculated and then presented as some sort of percentage figure (even if its done as colour code there will have to be hard numbers underneath it). To work out the kill chance there are even more variables to take into account and another set of calculations to be done.

Now, all that work has to be undertaken, on the fly, before the player fires the shot. Then surely they will have to be done again if the player actually "pulls the trigger" - if they aren't then we are back to the probability model of CMx1.

There is only so much processing power available and I don't see how, keeping in mind this all has to work in real time mode, that the calculations can be done without affecting what is going on elsewhere. Furthermore, where is the pay-off? "If you fire your 57mm ATG at the frontal aspect of that Panther you have next to no chance of killing it but you may, may damage its gun or its drive mechanism". Well f*ck me I never would have guessed I am really glad the game told me that.

Steve has indicated that BF have ideas about how more information about possible shots can be presented to the user. BF have a history of getting these things about right, but I would say if it is just rule of thumb stuff don't bother just stick an extra few paragraphs in the manual.

I've said it before, it seems those who want armor stats most are the ones who need them least. What could I possibly tell a WWII fanatic about Panther armor that he doesn't already know forward and backward? Panther bow will be the same slope and same thickness next week as it was last week. I prefer the game free of shovelware clutter.

+1

(...and for the non-grogs maybe we could have one percentage on screen before hitting "Go" that estimates who will be winning given the map and force selection. Hitting "Go" will show the outcome. That way nobody would have to learn tactics and read up on stats. :P )

I played all three of the CMx1 games and was always a big fan. But I think that CMBN is an overall great improvement. It feels a lot more "real". A green GI manning a 57mm AT gun is not going to know the exact percentage probability of that Panther rumbling towards him at about 600 yards out.

There are a lot threads by people requesting tactics and tricks. Inevitably, the best responses are real-life tactics. .... All you need to know about CMBN is how to use the controls. .... the actual tactics for winning the game could be picked up from Army Field manuals and real life after action reports.

You can tell that the BF team put a lot of emphasis on "Real Life" with the CMx2 engine. This has been improved upon with CMBN.

However, that said, it would be nice to be able to toggle some additional heads-up shovelware clutter that would float over the board or float around a unit's screen icon. These toggle floaties could include:

- C2

- Suppression (rough estimation for overall unit)

- Ammo (rough estimation for overall unit)

- Moral

All of these toggles could be turned ON or OFF depending on user preferences.

Also, ... and I know this has been repeatedly stated and is for some reason hard to program in the current build ... but an Armor ONLY arc would be GREAT!

Also, ... and I know this has been repeatedly stated and is for some reason hard to program in the current build ... but an Armor ONLY arc would be GREAT!

++++ from me as well. A covered armour arc combined with a genuine hunt command (not move to contact as it is at the moment) would solve many issues I have with giving appropriate orders. Unfortunately, it seems that this may be asking for the world.

Regards

KR