What To Do With .bmp Files?

Some mods come as individual .bmps. some are .brz files, and same are packed in folders, and some mod folders have one of more sub folders.

If you put .bmp's into the Z folder you end up with lots of .bmps' and it hard to figure out what to change/deelete whe want to change a mod.

So, can mods that come as .bmp's be placed in folders one creates and names as one wishes?

And when you have mods that are in folders with subfolders, does one need to pick and choose which folders to use, or will all the main and subfolders work together to create the mod.

The lack of consistency amongst mod creators re what you provide us (much as I appreciate your work guys), is confusing.

Erwin...my man...after ALL this time and all these threads you still don't have your mod stuff figured out yet? I would've thought you'd be an expert by now!

This is what I do. I explode all brzs and then put the BMPS and wavs into individual folders and name them...like Scipio's Silhouettes, Weapon SFX or what have you...something that tells me right away who made it and what the mod is for. That way when I install another mod I know which ones I have to take out if there's a conflict...also I can go through and look or listen to any of the files I have loaded to decide if there are any that don't quite catch my fancy and I can easily replace them...my weapon FX in CMSF is a collection of all the best sounds from like three different modders...but I have it where I like it and it's now set in stone...but having exploded everything I could test without having to start the game every time to hear a particular sound.

Anyway that's just one way to do it...then again...once you have everything where you want it you could always, like Rocky said, BRZ them and you'll have a nice clean folder. Probably not a bad idea especially when it comes to getting your terrain just right...doubt once that happens people will want to change it much.

Mord.

So, when (say) "fred" makes a mod but it only includes a bunch of bmp files, I should NOT simply put them all in a folder called (say) "fred's mods" and copy it into my Z folder??

I have no idea how to open or crete a brz folder. I was an expert at CM1 mods and could even make pretty good maps/scenarios. But I find CM2 waaay too complex/intimidating. It's like MS products- created by engineers for engineers to play with heh.

Your suggestion: "I explode all brzs and then put the BMPS and wavs into individual folders and name them...like Scipio's Silhouettes, Weapon SFX or what have you...something that tells me right away who made it and what the mod is for. That way when I install another mod I know which ones I have to take out if there's a conflict...also I can go through and look or listen to any of the files I have loaded to decide if there are any that don't quite catch my fancy and I can easily replace them...my weapon FX in CMSF is a collection of all the best sounds from like three different modders...but I have it where I like it and it's now set in stone...but having exploded everything I could test without having to start the game every time to hear a particular sound."

This sounds like what I need to do. But, boy it sounds like a LOT of work. Maybe you could make your modded Z folder available for d/l for us Luddites?

Yeah, when Fred makes a mod that is only a zip full of bmps, create a folder and name it Fred's "Name Of Mod Here"...put the bmps in it and drop'er in your z folder.

Erwin, ol' buddy, the directions for exploding a brz are right in the mod folder and in two game manuals...it's simple. I think you over think the mod process in CMX2...it is waaay easier and simpler than CMX1 ever was...

Exploding the BRZs is really not a lot of work if you do it as you acquire mods.

In your MOD TOOLS folder there is another folder called rez explode...open that.

You now will see a folder called input...and another folder called exploded...and an exe clicky thingy called RezExplode.

Copy or drag and drop one of your brz files into the "INPUT" Folder.

Click the RezExplode exe.

Now the input folder will be transferring the packed files into an unpacked state into the EXPLODED Folder. when this is happening the EXPLODED folder will say "-in progress-"...when it is finished (depending on how big the file was) the folder will return to saying Exploded...When that happens You can remove the files...best to make a new folder and cut and paste them into it. Name it what you want. Ta da...exploded BRZ.

And don't forget to remove the BRZ from the input folder...if you need it keep it, if it's a copy delete it.

No excuses now, buddy!!! I expect you to be exploding in your sleep next time I see ya!!!...mods that is...

Mord.