WP-Rounds

I cant get my tanks to shoot WP rounds when in contact with enemy tanks. I tried several times to use WP to blind an enemy sitting on the next hill. My tanks just ignored my command to fire smoke and tried to kill the enemy armor instead. Which was a bad idea since it was a Panther head on. So how do i get my boys to obey my orders in this case?

You are trying to shoot the Panther with a WP round? Or are you trying shoot in front of the Panther? If you are trying to shoot at and hit the Panther with the idea being to make the Panther crew bail out then that sounds like something that needs extra code. Sounds like extra work. But would be cool to see. But doubtful.

I've only specifically ordered tanks to fire smoke a couple of times so far but it worked fine. One instance was to blind an AT gun. That said, my guys weren't taking rounds at the time, so.... *shrug*.

I'd agree though that they're just overriding your orders---for better or worse---just as all units will do in certain circumstances.

Yes, you can only "area target" ground level action spots with "target smoke", so no direct targeting of vehicles, bunkers, or building floors. Also, WP incorrectly behaves as a "base-ejecting" smoke round, so even if you hit a tank, bunker, etc., the round will just bounce off (possibly landing quite a distance away) before coming to a rest and slowly building up smoke. WP should explode on impact.

No, i did not realy try to directly aim at the enemy tank. I tried to shot smoke/WP in front of the enemy tank. While i have no problems to get my tanks to shoot smoke in front of enemy infantry and guns it seems like the AI always overrides my "shot smoke" order when they face enemy armor.

I am not an expert on this topic but from what i´ve read i would say using smoke was a quit common practice.

I guess it is a limitation of the system.

I know I would be equally annoyed if i had ordered a tank to fire a smoke screen but then suddenly an enemy tank hove into view and they didn't bother shooting it but kept going with the smoke.

I think it would take some pretty extensive and groovy programming to have an AI that acts as it should in all situations.

Guess that is why they call it "artificial" intelligence.