US Self Propelled Arty

Played a large game and picked myself a Battery of Priests, nothing better than some on map arty to soften up the enemy and watch them fire off the shells.

One problem, nobody, not even the FO or unit commander could call up any of the guns in the arty menu. Had everything else but not them. Is this a bug or is there something I'm missing???

When bought as an on map asset you can use them, but in direct fire mode only, as far as I am aware. In this role they are effective when they basically used as a (very vulnerable but very effective) method of obliterating enemy positions with close range artillery fire. You will read accounts of self-propelled artillery being brought up to supress various enemy strongpoints, especially in urban areas where 105mm and 155mm rounds were used against buildings (with an effect on the defenders that I'm sure you can imagine.)

If you wish to use them as a support asset then you would need to purchase them as an off map choice.

I think this would have to do with the range of the weapons themselves and the fact that it would be a challenge to elevate the tubes to such a degree that they would be able to provide on map support within the ranges that maps are designed to encompass. With mortars and IG this is less of an issue as they are designed for shorter engagement ranges.

I can also see them being very useful in defence where a single gun would be effectively able to deny areas of the map to enemy advance. No one would wish to advance across an open field covered by a well defended SPA emplacement.

I believe you can use them as indirect fire support, but when buying did you make sure they were part of the same force structure as the FOs and COs?

The artillery button doesn't even light up in the interface for the SPGs, even for it's CO or for dedicated FOs attached directly to the unit. So it seems like the direct fire role is the only option for the guns in the game.

From a previous answer by BF on the same question, on map SP Artillery is limited to the direct fire role. The reason is the length of time it takes to set up 1944 artillery in real life (surveying etc.) would make them effectively useless in the time constraints of a CM battle. If you want indrect fire then you can buy the assets to provide it, if you want on-board HE chuckers then the SPA provide another option.

Hey I have just been playing around with arty with QB, I was trying to see if I could use M& in an indirect roll on may it appear not, but I was side tracked a little and gave myself some rockets, boy do these things rock, a speckie watching all HE rain down :)

I would say their min firing range would not be in range if they were in map

I wondered about that, and could not find any minimum range for them in a (limited) online search. Max range is being told at each site I found, but no minimum (indirect) range... Any grogs out there?

Bertram

I've never seen the minimum range for the M7 Priest specifically; somewhere I've seen firing tables for the M2 howitzer (the gun the Priest carried), but I can't seem to locate them at the moment.

Anway, the standard M2 howitzer ground mount could elevate the barrel to 66 degrees. This allowed it to do fairly high angle, short range fire. But even on charge 0, you're still talking about a minimum range measured in hundreds of meters, IIRC. So if the ground mount 105mm were included in a future module, you could make the argument that indirect fire capability might be appropriate, but it's marginal. Players would probably often find it frustrating to deal with a minimum range spanning a substantial portion of the map.

The M7 priest, though, is a different matter -- the vehicle mount limited the barrel elevation to 35 degrees. So the M7 can't do high-angle fire. Overall, even if you give the player to put M7 in a surveyed location so that indirect fire were technically possible, such shallow-angle indirect fire would be challenging to plot on a CM map -- you'd be hitting intervening trees, buildings, etc. a lot of the time.

So not allowing M7s do do on-map indirect fire is a reasonable decision, I think -- players would find the conditions to use them indirect so restrictive that they'd probably almost always use them direct-fire anyway.

The M7 priest, though, is a different matter -- the vehicle mount limited the barrel elevation to 35 degrees. So the M7 can't do high-angle fire. Overall, even if you give the player to put M7 in a surveyed location so that indirect fire were technically possible, such shallow-angle indirect fire would be challenging to plot on a CM map -- you'd be hitting intervening trees, buildings, etc. a lot of the time.

You could, I suppose, park them on graded ramps as was done when using tanks for IF. But again, as far as the game goes, why go for the added complication of coding all this? Might as well just buy normal off-map arty.

Michael