Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Clear target hotkey

Dooesn't the default hotkey list designate a 'J'? I'm on a bootcamed imac with a mac keyboard so 3rd party hotkey lists can do strange things sometimes.

No, that is a panel-specific hotkey, so it requires you to have the Combat commands panel open. You can't give your own hotkey that works just for Cancel Target.

I have programmed a few of my mouse buttons to do special things in Combat Mission. Mouse wheel - left targets, mouse wheel - right cancels target, thumb button reverses camera, two other thumb buttons zoom in and out (I might change those to something else, though).

And by the way - I see in strings.txt file polish translation. How to enable polish language? There is no PL in menu.

I think you can do this by adding the following line. Note, though, that it might not work properly given what it says in the comment.

/*

Polski removed since it requires updates to the new fonts

*/

Languages Supported

<E>English

<E>Deutsch

<E>Français

<E>Español

<E>Italiano

<E>Polski

Dooesn't the default hotkey list designate a 'J'? I'm on a bootcamed imac with a mac keyboard so 3rd party hotkey lists can do strange things sometimes.

D'oh. You're right, and so is Sixxkiller. There's a command panel entry for clear target, as well as Del being a default, so you can change that assignment in the hotkeys.txt. Sorry for fixating on the 'edit Del' bit.

So, I tried this a while back and started a thread about it.

My experience is that I remapped it, it showed as remapped in the UI, but actually it was not remapped: it was still delete.

In that thread the experts said this is one of those functions that can't be remapped. It's hard to understand why some keys can and some can't... this hasn't been explained.

GaJ

So, I tried this a while back and started a thread about it.

My experience is that I remapped it, it showed as remapped in the UI, but actually it was not remapped: it was still delete.

In that thread the experts said this is one of those functions that can't be remapped. It's hard to understand why some keys can and some can't... this hasn't been explained.

GaJ

The reason you can't remap keys like 'Del' and 'Backspace' is because there is no way provided for them to be represented in the hotkeys.txt file. It's a text file, and text editors use these keys for editing functions, so if you go into the hotkeys file and try and put a 'Del' in, you'll actually delete the selected character.

It strikes me that a huge improvement in hotkey functionality could be achieved just by reworking the hotkeys.txt parser to accept some sort of 'command syntax', so that, say, <Del> could represent the delete key (and <<> would represent <, and <>> represent > ). Of course this would have to be at the user's risk, since you'd be able to alter things that are currently nicely safe from user SNAFU :)

And I've just remembered something else. "Clear Target" is, indeed not mappable as a direct key in the hotkeys file, which is why the line comment says "not used". AIUI (now my memory's ticked back another couple of weeks :) ), it was meant to be mappable, but there's something getting in the way. Possibly, it's because the Del key is mapped there.

It can be mapped (since it is the middle left choice) in the relative command keys section, which is where 'J' comes from, but if you activate that, Slow, Dismount and Split Scout Team will also be on whatever key you choose (? unless there's a direct key to override it ?), and if you're not in the Combat command pane, you might get results you weren't expecting if you get used to using "X" as you propose.

The reason you can't remap keys like 'Del' and 'Backspace' is because there is no way provided for them to be represented in the hotkeys.txt file

What I meant is that it hasn't been explainecd why there is no way provided.

On face value, its bizarre right? You have a hotkeys file, but it doesn't let you change some hotkeys. Why would that be? That's what I meant.

GaJ

What I meant is that it hasn't been explainecd why there is no way provided.

I imagine it's the usual priorities reason. Adding functionality like that takes Charles time, which is better spent on making the actual play better, rather than tinkering with the way the user interacts with the play.

On face value, its bizarre right? You have a hotkeys file, but it doesn't let you change some hotkeys. Why would that be? That's what I meant.

GaJ

I can't disagree. Interface design is a big factor contributing to enjoyable play in any game. Every turn of a WeGo game, I find myself cursing some aspect of the controls; the support interface is a particular bugbear. That I enjoy the game in spite of this is testament to the quality of the rest of it.