Ctrl-click: bewildering behaviour

Ctrl-click seems to be "move the map to a random place, usually where not much can be seen".

I think I must be misunderstanding what it is supposed to do. My understanding is that it should move the "point of view" to directly over the place you click.

After having some trouble with this, I selected viewpoint 9 (looking vertically down) and experimented clicking on key locations. I expected the map to be centered on my screen at those locations.

But clicking in the middle of the map moves half the map off the screen! It also rotates the map in an apparently-random way.

Has anyone made sense of this?

GaJ

But I'm saying it doesn't even move the camera to where I click.

Try this: go to view level 9, centre the map in your screen. It seems to me that at this point the camera is right above the middle of the map, looking vertically down, right?

Confirm this by rotating (right click drag). The map rotates around the centre. The camera is positioned in the middle of the map.

Now ctrl-click right at the centre of that rotation - theoretically not moving the camera at all, since it's there already. Whoa! Now where am I?

GaJ

I think I know what's happening there. When you click the map it "takes" your view to a position where if you were in level 1, you would be at the spot you clicked, but retains the level you are viewing. Thus the higher up you are, the more disconnection there is between where you click and what you end up seeing. Try this: go to level 9, ctrl-click somewhere and then zoom the mouse in all the way, you should see where you clicked right there. That being said it makes the ctrl-click dubious at best and far less useful than it could have been.