Possible solution to pathfinding issues that some people can't stand

Hello.

When I see some weird behaviour related to pathfinding (not often) I like to think it's because of human behaviour when we are really under fear and pressure. Also have to remember that there was a drug problems involved in WW2.

I use quite a lot imagination when I play cause after all these are just games and no perfect one has been made. Maybe you should too?

-Jorges

For the Commonwealth troops tea was legal.

I have read books which state that British forces would stop in the middle of an advance to have a cup of tea. I am certain that this was the case with the Market Garden campaign and XXX Corps as a case in point. Tea being, to the British, the highly addictive substance that it is! (As a Brit, I would know.)

Perhaps this could be modelled at a strategic level? Maybe a nice message at the critical moment in a battle saying that unit X,Y and Z have failed to arrive as scheduled due to them stopping for a brew? ;)

Ah, now we are getting somewhere. Would the small stoves and/or PE used to heat the water increase the chance to be spotted? Also, the caffeine in tea being a stimulant, would the 'brew' command lead to a quickening in reaction times for the pixeltruppen? Hmmm, the multiple implications of the 'brew' command..

Brew Command

The reactions will obviously depend on the calibre of the troops.

Green - poor admin, can't find their backside with both hands - long time to produce Brew - lower moral as NCO's chase them back to battle without finishing their char

Veteran troops - quick off the mark (esp Desert vets) tea produced quickly - but then the 'lingering over nearly empty cup' effect (that's these vets are still alive). However when chased by NCO's accept 'beasting' with more aplomb. Better moral and more rested.

Elite troops - superb brewing skills, quick to slurp tea down, slight delay for chomping a few biscuits - Better Moral, more rested and more energy.

Seriously though, the Battle for Normandy went on for quite a while, it was vicious fighting, and people being people, I wouldn't be suprised if there was some abuse of various substances, booze almost definately and as mentioned previously, stimulants were handed out.

If we are going to have tea, then corned beef sandwiches have to added as well. It seems almost every account I read of the British involves them wolfing down a couple at every break. BTW these are not deli-type corned beef,but canned (a totally different material that just happens to have the same name)

Brew Command

The reactions will obviously depend on the calibre of the troops.

Green - poor admin, can't find their backside with both hands - long time to produce Brew - lower moral as NCO's chase them back to battle without finishing their char

Veteran troops - quick off the mark (esp Desert vets) tea produced quickly - but then the 'lingering over nearly empty cup' effect (that's these vets are still alive). However when chased by NCO's accept 'beasting' with more aplomb. Better moral and more rested.

Elite troops - superb brewing skills, quick to slurp tea down, slight delay for chomping a few biscuits - Better Moral, more rested and more energy.

Seriously though, the Battle for Normandy went on for quite a while, it was vicious fighting, and people being people, I wouldn't be suprised if there was some abuse of various substances, booze almost definately and as mentioned previously, stimulants were handed out.

In order for these commands to not be abused, you would also need a "GO TO THE LOO" command, which would be mandatory after using the "BREW" command 3 times. The "GO TO THE LOO" command would have the same effect as 3 consecutive "PAUSE" commands, but the "GO TO THE LOO" command can only be issued once a unit is in cover.

Drugs other than tea.

From the Wikipedia article on alertness the British troops used 72 million tablets in WW2 - which given the number in unifoem and the length of the war not too extreme. For other stuff these two are worth reading.

http://www.ww2f.com/information-requests/26639-drugs-use-ww2.html

http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php?3773-German-Soldiers-on-Drugs!

has some serious information and follow-up allegations

the fairly full article is derived from Der Spiegel - the link does not work to the original article.