Bocage + pathfinding = rage

Steve: maybe you should setup a section for new players that is more of a easy/ no confrontation style by a BF staff that will act like a Hotel receptionist.

also, restrict the experienced user from jumping at the throats of anyone that makes a comment that the inner circle does not approve of.

it makes good business sense to do this as most Pele don't like to be engaged or confronted, just want a place to vent or get information. thats why a PR person should respond in the "safe environment forum section".

Don't take it personal its just business.

I am a cm wargammer and live for digital confrontation. :o)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

LemoN, have you tried a bit of real life advanced driving technique to your plotting? By this I mean positioning your vehicle to maintain momentum and vision through a corner?

By way of example, in the Road To Berlin scenario where your M4 tanks start at the small cluster of buildings I would firstly position my tank over to the left hand side of the road and then plot a smooth series of waypoints through the corner with only small changes in direction so that I end up on the left hand side of the road again when I come out. This means that the vehicle does not have to stop, turn in place and then move off again which can lead to it missing a waypoint and then having to perform an additional turn to reach it. I also do this with the command of "Slow" due to the nature of tanks being unwieldy beasts at the best of times. I use this technique to both enhance my spotting of targets through a corner, as it opens up the view beyond the corner and to ensure that the AI (as impressive as it is, and it IS impressive) goes where I want it to go. It also helps with keeping your frotal armour towards any AT threats which lay along the road ahead due to you driving THROUGH the corner and not turning within the corner where your flanks are exposed. Further, I seem to have noted that when I give a vehicle a "slow" command (or any movement command for that matter) at any angle over about 10-20 degrees from the axis of the vehicle's movement, it will move forwards slowly and turn. Whereas, if I give a "face" command, it will move on the spot. This may also help in your manoeuvres.

I am not trying to patronise, you may have tried this already. I am just trying to help.

I am at work and so cannot post screen shots of what I mean but PM me if you wish for a more detailed explanation.

This isn't about new players. It's about people who aren't really trying to be helped. There's always a few in any crowd, and the sooner they are shown that such behavior is unacceptable, the better for everybody else.

Look at how this thread has gone. Look at the dozens of other threads going on right now. Is any other thread going like this one? No. And yet I'm active in those threads, as are plenty of long timers.

When trying to examine a problem, find what's different and examine it. Usually that's the reason.

Steve

LemoN,

I was just making a joke. I must say though that this is the only board in the gaming world that would let you talk so much bad shiet about a game. Steve while you think he's crass and rude, is actually a really tolerant guy. I mean the stuff that has been thrown at him in the last years (including me lol) would make you seriously change your view on him. I know a lot of us on the beta team would gear up, board the chopper, and go do an op in Afghanistan if Steve was kidnapped by the Taliban. So you can only guess why we defend him and his game here right?

But calm down. If you dont like the game he has given you an out. But you will regret it because even Steve knows the game isnt perfect (gasp) and no company around wants their games to be as good as BFC (thats a fact).

I'm going to lock up this one as it has gone on too long as it is. LemoN, if you are interested in finding out how to improve your game experience, there's plenty of advice here already. Give it a try and then see if things improve for you. If they do not, start up another thread with your observations and maybe this can be restarted on a better foot. That's your choice in all respects.

Steve

Thanks for the help Reaver, but I generally don't really have a problem with what you describe, especially not with tanks. Scenarios where I have a huge problem with the AI pathfinding:

German campaign scenario 3, 4, and 6.