I think I have changed my mind...

I am still hoping for tcp wego in the future - but after a solitary hour of playing real time in a company sized scenario with attached AT and artillery assets I am actually warming to the fuzzy "out of control" feeling that CMBN gave me last night. I am an armchair wargamer brought up on control - I love being able to plan down to the smallest detail. CMBN, however, doesnt allow me to do it in real time - and I am genuinely surprised to find that, waking up today, it hasnt annoyed me as much as I thought it would. I was convinced, in a dark recess of my mind, that I was going to hate it.

I got whipped by the AI last night - becuase my deployment was wrong and my use of assets generally poor. In CM1 I probably could have got away with it as I could plan my mass murder of advancing Americans in infinite detail.

But not realistic detail... and I like this feeling of having huge planning and execution responsibility but not quite the infinite god like power I am used to. This is actually more realistic - and that has to be a good thing.

Roll on game 2 - and roll on my first tcp 2 player game, hopefully tomorrow evening. I'll post further thoughts on real time 2 player after I have done that. Count me as a potentially converted tcp sceptic.

I think a lot of the coolness about CMX2 is it has a way of sneaking in and erasing a lot of preconceived notions...it's that old adage "don't knock it till you try it". The game is what it is and after a while the things missed from CMX1 that might come up don't seem so bad...and the new things that have been added may just grab your fancy.

We've had a bunch of the faithful convert to RT over the last couple years (blasphemers!) and they love it. Not me though...I enjoy the planning and unlimited playbacks. But it's cool that we can all have our cake and eat it too. Hopefully by the time Normandy wraps up I'll be able to burn that cake with a flamethrower!

Mord.

I like the sound of that, but I am still finding real-time just a little too difficult to handle. Especially in the slightly larger sized battles - I also love the battle replay feature which I sorely miss in real-time engagements.

That's pretty much where I'm at too. I can well see how RT might be better in some situations and I will definitely give it a try. But it would be giving up too much that I love to use RT exclusively. Now if there is ever some way to combine the best features of the two...

Michael

For me, RT is all about saving, well, real time. Or wall-clock time, as the IT guys would call it.

(Perhaps I shall find out one day how a CMx1 type game (lumped squads) would work in RT.)

I tried RT MP only once with CM:SF (Al Huqf only). Found it to be close to impossible to handle, even though only platoon-sized forces were involved. The need to move the camera in addition to controlling the units is too much (for me).

Best regards,

Thomm

Of course WEGO is very artificial: in real life we don't have time to go round the battlefield giving individual orders to each unit individually. On the other hand, what is the largest group where that could be done? I reckon a company is about the limit, larger than that you have to give general orders (take that hill) and let subordinates take care of the fine details. I suspect this is why I enjoy small unit scenarios the most, I can have the illusion that I really could control that number of men in detail.

One question about the AI in RT. Are the units 'aware' of the victory conditions and behave accordingly in the absence of orders from the player? In other words could you have AI vs AI battles?