The Hide Command...

There was a thread a week or so ago that recommended ending all movement with a PAUSE command.

Supposedly, this would stop the units "going to ground" (not HIDE) with reduced visibility.

Anyone else had any experience/comments re this idea?

(I thought the default would keep the troops heads up. Assuming this even exists, is "Going to ground" mid-way between HIDE and normal???)

So this is the best way to handle FO's? With a short cover arc?

Yes. Unless they've changed things from CMSF, hiding units to NOT spot well for artillery. Short Cover Arc is definitely the best option.

So make sure to position your FOs somewhere that they have good enough concealment to stay unspotted without use of the Hide command.

There was a thread a week or so ago that recommended ending all movement with a PAUSE command.

Supposedly, this would stop the units "going to ground" (not HIDE) with reduced visibility.

(I thought the default would keep the troops heads up. Assuming this even exists, is "Going to ground" mid-way between HIDE and normal???)

Nah, no need for that.

A refresher for me gentleman. If a infantry squad is hiding I take it it's observation/vision is restricted significantly?

Thanks!

I don't know if its outbound spotting is much worse. It can certainly still see, and every man has his face in the dirt so LOS is traced from the lowest height (prone height) so they will physically not be able to see over many obstacles like low walls etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on the situation, I've had anywhere from none to all of a team or squad "spotting" while stationary, without ever using that 'pause' trick. I just checked my current game, and the entire company is "Spotting", with the exception of those few which haven't finished debussing yet. It's very early doors and no one has been engaged (though some elements have spotted a Panther across the entire map through treetops and buildings...).