CMAK on the Mac (resolution problem, again)

I've been looking and can't quite find the exact answer to this question, so I'm sorry if this is repetitive.

My wife took our Mac laptop and I'm stuck using an old G3 to run CMAK and am having problems.

The G3 is running 9.1 and when I start the game, I've set the resolution at 800 x 600, but as soon as the game launches, the screen flickers for a moment and seems to switch resolutions. Then I get the message, "Game requires minimum 800 x 600 resolution" and quits.

I saw on another thread that switching resolution to 1280 x 1040 (or something along those lines) can help, but my monitor goes only to 1024 x 768 at 75 Hz. Am I out of luck?

I'm guessing that your ATI Rage 128 probably has 16Mb of VRAM. While that isn't officially enough for CMAK, it should still run quite well at 800 x 600 with 16Mb (I've even had it run on 8Mb videocards on the PC).

Is there a Prefs file present in your CMAK folder (there or the Prefs folder in your System folder) ? If there is, delete it. You may also need to check what you're loading up with the Extensions Manager. To be honest I forget which ATI-related video extensions should be loading up in 9.x, there are several that are QuickDraw/RAVE related that CM will need. You may also want to cut back (at least temporarily) on what you're loading up, especially if it is an extension that didn't come with OS 9.x originally.

OS 9.1 should be fine for the CM series. If you care to, you can upgrade to OS 9.2.2 (which requires an upgrade to OS 9.2.1 first), though it may not offer a whole lot above what you're running already. If you do decide to take the plunge, remember to remove the Classic RAVE extension which can potentially cause problems with CM and also uncheck any Nvidia-related extensions since they're not necessary for your G3.

[ June 06, 2005, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

That message occurs for me when I don't have the right extensions active. I had to turn on the ATI radeon 3d acceleration extension to get it to work right. If you run with a minimum of extensions on like I do, check which ones are off. (G4, OS 9.2.2, factory ATI rage Pro, latest ATI software.)