Mud and Plowed Fields

Agricultural Grog Alert

As I understand it CB:BN covers the period June to August 1944. Therefore, there should not be any ploughed fields.

Spring ploughing finished months ago and autumn/winter ploughing won't start until the harvest is in. This campaign takes place in the heart of the growing season and the start of the harvest.

Didn't the Germans flood a lot of the fields to limit armor movement? Or was that later on? That would make for some interesting scenarios regardless.

You could definitely get bogged in river beds in CMSF, so I'm sure it will be a factor in CMBN scenarios.

Didn't the Germans flood a lot of the fields to limit armor movement? Or was that later on? That would make for some interesting scenarios regardless.

You could definitely get bogged in river beds in CMSF, so I'm sure it will be a factor in CMBN scenarios.

The Germans did flood fields, partly to impede airborne and glider assaults and partly to channel armor and vehicle movement. A number of airborne guys were killed by drowning in those swamped fields.

A number of airborne guys were killed by drowning in those swamped fields.

Quite a number, if Balkowski is to be believed. Some sticks were even mistakenly dropped over the Channel and drowned there too. It was things like that that led to insistence that the Market-Garden drops would be conducted in daylight.

Michael

Nice to get away from the desert! Please tell me these will impede movement.

I believe it will, Normandy had quite a bit of rain that summer so there should be plenty of potential for mud. You'd need a response from the beta testers to know for sure. I believe I have heard them mention the potential for track damage in the bocage but can't be certain.