A shame the buildings collapse so easily.

So far I'm loving returning to WW2 BUT what is going on with the balsawood buildings?

I've already seen a Sherman pump a few HE rounds into a farmhouse and demolish it. How could this happen?

I know this has been touched on already but this seems too easy - Normandy farmhouses would most likely be a few hundred years old with very thick (sometimes up to a metre) stone walls and this would also be true of the barns etc

It just seems a bit of a cheap shot to be able to flatten a building then effectively neutralise enemy resistance coming from said building so quickly.

Anyway they can be made more resistant?

I will be reluctant to use buildings for defence if they collapse so readily - and what of the big buildings? Please don't let it happen to them too - it feels more like a cartoon than realistic, real world physics etc.

If the ballistics are so well modelled - how about the buildings?

It kind of cuts both ways. Buildings collapse very easily, BUT, a collapsing building doesn't necessarily incapacitate infantry inside of it. So it's clearly not as catastrophic a collapse as the graphics seem to portray. And the rubble of a collapsed building provides very good cover.

Overall, I prefer to think of the the CM building "collapse" as the point where a good part of the roof has fallen in, and the upper floors are no longer safe to occupy, but substantial parts of the building may be still standing.

It would be nice if the graphical representation more closely matched this, though.

Yeah - if the modelling isn't catastrophic in terms of effects on those inside that's fine BUT the cosmetic side would help.

I'm imagining some of the more densley BUA actions and wondering if we will be seeing whole swathes of buildings pancaking! Which, if nothing else will simply look a little crazy.

I'm not moaning cos i love what they have done, but is there any reason why they totally collapse? Is it not possible to have the buildings with partial walls standing after a bombardment or direct shelling?

I thought BF said in an earlier post/thread that in user-built maps, at least, you can place a multistory building and then "destroy" 1 or more of the upper levels to leave some of it still standing. That's at least a good start for making BUA maps -- although the effect will be quickly lost if one HE hit takes all the rest of the building down.

I thought BF said in an earlier post/thread that in user-built maps, at least, you can place a multistory building and then "destroy" 1 or more of the upper levels to leave some of it still standing. That's at least a good start for making BUA maps -- although the effect will be quickly lost if one HE hit takes all the rest of the building down.

Taking that a little further would it be possible to make several of these shelled/partially standing building indestructible to further shelling/bombardment? that way everybody would sort of get something..if you get my

meaning?

what about this mixed bag at the start of a each battle...

1 buildings that can be totally destroyed

2 buildings that are already half destroyed and can be completely destroyed

3 buildings that are half desroyed and cannot be further destroyed

It's certainly the case in CM:SF that tall buildings can lose upper levels without totally collapsing - I expect it's the same in CM:BN.

It can't be much more than changing a setting somewhere in the code - so many hits and the building collapse animation kicks in, etc. BF should either up the hit points needed to trigger this or provide an option in the settings called 'Tougher Normandy buildings'.

I'm sure modders will get onto the demolished building graphic pretty quickly.