Infantry and Bocage issues

Infantry seem to be a little too optimistic about their chances of hitting exposed tank commanders. Nearly 100% of the time a tank rolls into range with the TC peeking his head out they decide to open up. Now this has resulted in absolutely no TC casualties but quite a pile of dead infantrymen.

Any chance infantries propensity to give away their positions and catch HE could be toned down. I feel like they should be a little more wary of engaging a 30-40 ton tank thats bearing down on them with small arms fire.

Also any chance that normal tanks will get the ability to roll over at least short bocage?

From most of what I've read and heard it was fairly common for tanks to roll up and over bocage, but it exposed their underbelly for quite a while and limited their view and ability to engage targets, but they were most definitely capable. The rhinos just allowed improveds tanks ability to go through bocage.

Yeah, my MG teams have been drawing tank fire like flies due to highly dubious decision-making on their part. An adjustment to this behavior would be most welcome (in lieu of target-specific cover arcs, which I understand are some way off, yes?).

I fully agree with this. Also, it would be nice to be able to specify "Armor Only" and "Infantry Only" commands on the human side of the game. .... As mentioned in this post, AI should be able to do the same thing.

But even with the MGs targeting tanks at 300m, the bocage map is STILL challenging!

If I saw a TC standing in a hatch I would take a shot at him, especially if I thought I had a descent chance to hit him. If he was manning a 50 and could return fire quickly should I miss .... Well then I might have to think harder about making that shot ;) ...

In either case I would shoot and scoot pretty quickly ....

If I saw a TC standing in a hatch I would take a shot at him, especially if I thought I had a descent chance to hit him. If he was manning a 50 and could return fire quickly should I miss .... Well then I might have to think harder about making that shot ;) ...

In either case I would shoot and scoot pretty quickly ....

In the absence of a 'scoot' feature, maybe the 'shoot' action makes less sense?

Okay so I started Breaking the Pocket today as the Germans. My men are stopped by the three foot high bushes bounding the field on the right flank, and will walk around the field to a fence to enter the field, exposing themselves to fire, rather than hopping a bush.

Okay so I started Breaking the Pocket today as the Germans. My men are stopped by the three foot high bushes bounding the field on the right flank, and will walk around the field to a fence to enter the field, exposing themselves to fire, rather than hopping a bush.

It's a hedge and it does present a minor obstacle that will slow them down. If the hedge were under fire, slowing down to cross it would be a bad decision, so whether or not going around is good or bad is contextual. If you want to force your infantry to cross these hedges, just add waypoints to either side of the point where you want them to cross.

Okay. This does not always seem to work. A squad stopped on one side of the hedge, and given a short move order to the other side of the hedge, began walking around the obstacle instead, which I don't want.

Much simpler if the pathing would attempt the most direct route at all times.

Just had it again...argh !

The MG42 of one of my squads opened fire on a M10 (most likely they were trying to hit the crew) on 650m distance !

Can you even see that the crew is exposed at that distcance ?

Most likely not...

This has to be a bug in the Tac-AI !

I mean, we are having AT guns firing at infantry and giving away there position and now we have infantry firing at tanks with small arms and saying "hello, please shot back"...

Just had it again...argh !

The MG42 of one of my squads opened fire on a M10 (most likely they were trying to hit the crew) on 650m distance !

Can you even see that the crew is exposed at that distcance ?

Most likely not...

This has to be a bug in the Tac-AI !

I mean, we are having AT guns firing at infantry and giving away there position and now we have infantry firing at tanks with small arms and saying "hello, please shot back"...

Whether or how it can be improved is one topic.

But a gameplay tip which has applied to every CM game since CMBO is to keep most of your defensive line on "Hide" and or with a cover Arc command with a few spotters on the look out. This way you, rather than the AI, can decide when to open up on a target.