CMx2 iPhone game version

I used VNC to answer those stupid "view-only" PBEM moves in CMx1. Not pretty but works.

It is of course mostly a function of band-with.

VNC used to send full bitmaps of the screen, but maybe they have improved a bit. But until they implement a fully OpenGl compatible virtual screen device, I don't see any chance for a decent performance.

But of course these iPads could be a driving factor for developing such a device.

Then it would still not be an iPad application, but your iPad would be a terminal for your real game computer.

VNC never sent full screen updates, not even in 1997. That is why it is kind of dependent on the speed of the server, because that one computes the "diff".

However, if every pixel changes, such as you panning around the map in a 3D game it wouldn't help much.

VNC never sent full screen updates, not even in 1997. That is why it is kind of dependent on the speed of the server, because that one computes the "diff".

There were many VNC implementations.

The one I used had a basic mode that essentially sent the whole bitmap, unless you added a screen device that was smarter, and would send differences.

With Windows-only systems, like Terminal Server / Remote Desktop, it is even more efficient, by sending the basic paint commands over the line, and let the client paint the screen. Very efficient for basic window painting, but not much use for pictures or movies.

However, if every pixel changes, such as you panning around the map in a 3D game it wouldn't help much.

You would need a device that does instant video-compression for such applications, but even today such programs usually run slower than real-time even on fast computers. You would probably need a video hardware device on the server.

It depends of course on the band-with, if that is large enough, you need less processor power to compress the data, but for now I don't think a wifi connection or similar is fast enough. Look at the speed at which FRAPS writes its screen capture to disk. Those files are gigantic.

There is money to be made for an improvement in this field.