Need to get a new Mac

Hi everybody

I've just ordered the Mac version and now I've got to get a new Mac just to play it cos my 2008 era 13 inch MacBook won't be able to hack it. About time too because I expect the existing Mac to croak sometime after 2012.

I was just reading the suggested system requirements for the Mac version and then looking at the tech specs for MacBook Pros at the Apple website and then started panicking.

Will the current MacBook Pros on sale be able to run the Mac version?

The MacBook Pro specs go on about having quad-core Intel Core i7 processors (for the 15 inch and 17 inch versions) and I'm just lost on it.

As for RAM, it looks like 4GB is standard issue according to the Apple website so I don't need to add RAM.

If someone can put my mind at ease over the MacBook Pros and the processors, that will be great.

Assuming the MacBooks are fine, I then have to decide whether to get the 15 inch or 17 inch version. I know the bigger the better, but the 17 inch one is really a bit pricey.

Many thanks in advance.

Dan

Multi-cores don't mean anything, since CMx2 can't use more than a single core. So, don't let that put you off.

Steve has said outright that he plays on a MacBook Pro, so a brand new one will have no problems at all. Even my 2007 Core 2 Duo model will run CMSF (using BootCamp), so you can guarantee that the new models won't break a sweat.

Are you dead set on getting a laptop? If not, the iMac is a lot more machine for the money. Bigger screen, faster video cards, etc. And rumor has it that the iMac line will be refreshed within the next couple of months. Though, waiting that long might be hard if you have the game in your hands.

The Mac version of CM requires a dual-core CPU. Happily the i5 and i7 processors on offer for current MBPs are faster than the recommended Core Duo. Apple doesn't offer any single core processors currently, I don't think. Maybe in the mini Airs or something? I dunno.

I play on a late 2010 Macbook Pro (with GT 330M and a 2.66 i7) and it runs well.

Are you dead set on getting a laptop? If not, the iMac is a lot more machine for the money. Bigger screen, faster video cards, etc. And rumor has it that the iMac line will be refreshed within the next couple of months. Though, waiting that long might be hard if you have the game in your hands.

Maybe he wants to carry it around? :)

Many of us use machines for more than just CMX2 you know (heresy I know, but it had to be said).

I have a MacBook Pro myself, so I understand all about it. I was just posing the question since you can get a lot more for your money if you don't really need the portability.

Absolutely agree, but Hong Kong also suggests space issues too.

Most homes there don’t have enough space for a dedicated computer desk, etc.

?????

So we’ve moved on from OS X 10.6.x as the minimum requirement (or is that a spin off of the work we’ve been doing “elsewhere”)?

There is a set of minimum and recommended specs on the OSX version announcement page. 10.6.x is the minimum OS. There are RAM, CPU, and video card requirements as well.

Is that the recommended minimum spec or is this required? I own an Air with a 1,8Ghz Core Duo and I hope it runs here with toned down graphic settings.

Like all system requirements there isn't a hard shutoff if you're running on hardware below the minimum specification, but the minimum spec is the lowest spec for which we can guarantee a playable user experience.

Your 1.8Ghz Core Duo may run the game with toned down graphics settings. You have a fairly weak video card to boot - remembering also that any laptop card is brutally underpowered (my top of the Apple line GT 330M is about 1/3 the speed of my 4 year old desktop card).

You may be able to play but you'll likely need to shut everything else off and run it on very low settings, and even then I can't guarantee it. I hope it works - I've been looking at Airs myself for carrying around - but no guarantees.

Thanks a lot guys.

Appreciate the comments.

Well, then it looks like the green light for some major capital expenditure.

I used to have the old 17 inch iMac but that croaked in 2008. The current iMacs are way too big for the space allocated for computers in my house. So it has to be the MacBooks for me.

Dan

Thanks a lot guys.

Appreciate the comments.

Well, then it looks like the green light for some major capital expenditure.

I used to have the old 17 inch iMac but that croaked in 2008. The current iMacs are way too big for the space allocated for computers in my house. So it has to be the MacBooks for me.

Dan

If you're going to buy used or refurbished a late-2010 MBP with GT 330M plays it quite nicely. If new then those awesome quad-core i7s will probably blow my computer out of the water. :)

I have a macbook pro from late 2009. 2.8 ghz duo, 4 gb of ram. I run cmsf just fine using bootcamp. Personally I don't even try and play games on a mac anymore. I downloaded the mac version of Civ V and it ran like total crap. Downloaded the PC version (thank god for dual licenses) and it ran fine in bootcamp. If for some reason the mac version doesn't run very well you can always try bootcamp. Putting up with the usability nightmare that is windows is a small price to pay for smooth play!

If you're going to buy used or refurbished a late-2010 MBP with GT 330M plays it quite nicely. If new then those awesome quad-core i7s will probably blow my computer out of the water. :)

I have a 27" i3 iMac at home with the 512 video card and a 15" i7 MBP courtesy of work with a 1GB AMD Radeon HD 6750M card in it, both max rammed. Sweet laptop times. :D

I have a macbook pro from late 2009. 2.8 ghz duo, 4 gb of ram. I run cmsf just fine using bootcamp. Personally I don't even try and play games on a mac anymore. I downloaded the mac version of Civ V and it ran like total crap. Downloaded the PC version (thank god for dual licenses) and it ran fine in bootcamp. If for some reason the mac version doesn't run very well you can always try bootcamp. Putting up with the usability nightmare that is windows is a small price to pay for smooth play!

I think we have the same box (refer my signature block) so depending on the video card you have in it, you should be fine for most sized battles at the top video settings.

• 1 month later...

Hi, Everyone--

I'm thinking of making the switch to Apple (but will need to run Bootcamp due to some other, nongaming applications) and I've been looking at the new 27" iMac with 2560x1440 resolution. I'm certainly no power user and but for some some basic office applications, it's pretty much email and web access--no web design, no graphics or CPU intensive applications or anything like that.

Now, assuming I can make the sale on the home front, does anyone have any thoughts or opinions about whether the following configuration would be worth the incremental expenditure from a game performance perspective:

1) 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 ($200 more than the 3.1GHz i5, and $500 more than the 2.7GHz i5).

2) 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB ($200 more than 4GB, and an additional $400 to get to 16GB).

3) 1TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive ($600 less without the solid state drive, and $150 more to add another 1TB ATA drive).

4) AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5 ($100 less to get the 1GB GDDR5 card).

As you have probably already ascertained, I'm extraordinarily nontechnical so I'm really not sure if some of these features are worth the price; on the other hand, I'd like to keep this system for a good 5+ years before having to replace it. And lastly, it probably goes without saying that I'm most interested in great experience with CMBN.... :^)

Thanks in advance!

For the sake of playing CM you can go without any of these mentioned extras,. I play on a computer which is slower in every respect and doing fine.

And don't buy memory from Apple. You can always add it later for much less.

Hi, Everyone--

I'm thinking of making the switch to Apple (but will need to run Bootcamp due to some other, nongaming applications) and I've been looking at the new 27" iMac with 2560x1440 resolution. I'm certainly no power user and but for some some basic office applications, it's pretty much email and web access--no web design, no graphics or CPU intensive applications or anything like that.

Now, assuming I can make the sale on the home front, does anyone have any thoughts or opinions about whether the following configuration would be worth the incremental expenditure from a game performance perspective:

1) 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 ($200 more than the 3.1GHz i5, and $500 more than the 2.7GHz i5).

2) 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB ($200 more than 4GB, and an additional $400 to get to 16GB).

3) 1TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive ($600 less without the solid state drive, and $150 more to add another 1TB ATA drive).

As you have probably already ascertained, I'm extraordinarily nontechnical so I'm really not sure if some of these features are worth the price; on the other hand, I'd like to keep this system for a good 5+ years before having to replace it. And lastly, it probably goes without saying that I'm most interested in great experience with CMBN.... :^)

Thanks in advance!

Well, I can tell you that the game runs remarkably well on my 3.5 year old 20" iMac with a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo. I do need to dial the detail levels back to Balance or Improved to get a decent framerate, but considering the age of my rig, I'm pretty happy with that. I'll cruise along with what I have for another 9-12 months, and then upgrade.

At any rate, given what I see on my older and much slower iMac, I'm sure that the current 27" iMac, with or without upgrades, will handle the game VERY well.

As to the specific upgrades:

1) CMBN definitely puts a heavy load on the processor, so I'm sure getting a faster processor will improve game performance. Whether it's worth the extra $500 to upgrade all the way to the 3.4 GHz i7 depends on how much money you have to blow, and how important it is to you to be able to play very large scenarios on large maps at a good level of detail and a high framerate.

2) Phil of BFC has said that CMBN cannot use more than 2GB of RAM, since the program is 32bit. So 4GB will be plenty to run the game, run OSX, and keep a web browser and iTunes running in the background. So I don't think there's any need to upgrade your RAM for CMBN. As noted, if you do decide to upgrade RAM, don't buy from Apple -- it's much cheaper to buy the RAM elsewhere, and do the upgrade yourself. It's very easy to do and is one of the only hardware upgrades you can do to an iMac yourself that does not invalidate the Apple warranty.

3) Not sure how much an SSD drive will affect game performance... my SWAG is that it may help with game and scenario load times if you put the game files on the SSD, but probably not much else -- I don't think the game accesses the hard drive (or SSD, as applicable) much once the game is running and the scenario is loaded.

4) Not sure how much increase in performance you'll see with the better vid card. My guess is that most of the time, the limit on CMBN's performance is more likely to be the processor, so the better video card won't usually had a large effect. Then again, it's a relatively inexpensive upgrade, so perhaps it's worth it.

Cheers,

YD

Since I started this thread, I suppose I should finish it.

Yes, I bought a new 17 inch MacBook Pro last month. Went into reseller store, tried it out briefly, put down HK$19288 and took it home. Absolutely bog standard. Nothing added and nothing taken away. All specs as per the current Apple website.

CMBN installed OK after I finally got the hotfix to work and the game works fine so far.

I'm also one of those non-technical types when it comes to computers.

If you get the MacBook Pros, well, the 17 incher at any rate, then the game should work fine.

Dan

Hi, Everyone--

Thanks in advance!

Yay been lurking for a while (brand new CM player) and I finally find a thread where I know enough to comment :)

1) If your needs apart from CM are basic office functions then I would avoid burning cash on the CPU. Yes it will give the whole machine a bit more life, but it really isn't worth the price - certainly this game would like it, but the lowest end CPU on a modern iMac will do just fine.

2) Do not, DO NOT! buy any more memory than you have to from Apple. Assuming you are in the US you can get Kingston 4GB modules from newegg for $46.99 - that is $187.96 for 16GB. It comes with 2 x 2GB (I think) which really is fairly okish. Although since you are running Parallels you might do well to buy a single extra 4GB to take you up to 8 total, with 1 slot free for future upgrades. This will be more than enough.

Newegg link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139144&Tpk=kta-mb1333%2f4g

3) SSDs are great if you are willing to spend the money, they are not only a pain to fit yourself (and goodbye warranty), but if you don't buy one you don't get the mounting bracket with the machine that you need to fit one, which is a pain if you want one later. A good place to spend money, although it is still fairly expensive.

4) Graphics cards are non-upgradeable (for practical purposes) in an iMac. The base card will be more than fine for CM, and if that is the highest strain you will put on the GPU then you can skip it, but again this is a good place to spend the money you saved on the RAM and CPU.