Historical or semi-historical ?

Can someone that is brilliant in the English language please define semi-historical. Simple definition is semi-historical is fiction. But i am a simple minded person. :D

Of course this is directed to scenario design.

I don't know what other people mean, but to my mind, semi-historical means that the precise action in question cannot be reasonably reproduced in this game system for one reason or another, but the author has come as close as he could to at least capture some of the "flavor" of the event. From this definition it follows that most scenarios labeled as "historical" are in strictest truth semi-historical.

Michael

Oh well that's just great.

Now I want the Dino D-Day mod. :)

One version of semi-historical is take the TO&E of an actual unit and place it on a well-made map that has little relevance to any place that unit it may have fought in, but "could have" been in their AO.

Another is to slightly 'upgrade' the TO&E of an actual battle's particpants to make for more balanced play or prettier explosions.

I consider it semi historical if it is based on some actual information but some data cannot be found. Eg. you have axis OOB and description of the event, but no allied OOB or precise location. Or it could be based on all relevant information, but for playability has been adjusted.

Fictional I consider as something that could have happened, like a typical infantry assault scenario that is not based on anything in particular. A hypothetical or what if scenario would be based on ahistorical premise, like what if Overlord failed and Germany invaded Britain, or what if the US had landed on the Gold, Juno and Sword beaches instead?

Sergei is correct, for CMBO - CMAK I had defined for the scenario authors semi-historical as based on reality, but could not find certain information [the majority of scenarios]. historical had an accurate map and forces. [There are scenarios I made that the tank locations are even accurate] Obviously this is for the start of the scenario. Fictional is a could of happened, or even a space lobster attack.

The system worked well for the CMX1 series.

Rune