Building scenarios with depleted units.

I'm sure this is common knowledge so forgive my ignorance; I played lots of CMBO / BB / AK back in the day but not a lot of SF as I moved to a Mac around that time - hence my ignorance.

Anyway - to my question:

I seem to recall in CMBB / AK that you could build scenarios starting with partially depleted squads. I've been reading about some of the actions of the 82nd and 101st on D-Day and the following days and was considering trying to build some small scenarios around some of this stuff. Given the mixed / incomplete nature of the units which participated in these actions it would seem appropriate to build forces with depleted squads to represent the hotch-potch of troops which were often thrown together for these actions. I appreciate it's not essential, but can it be done?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

The possibility/likelihood of starting the scenario with depleted squads is why CM *really* needs to revamp the personnel roster in the middle of the bottom of the interface.

Suppose you have twelve rifle squads at the start of the scenario. Say that four of them have ten men, three have nine men, three have seven men, one has four men, and one has five men. As the battle unfolds, you'll want to check on the status of your squads. The quickest and easiest way to do this is to check for casualties by cycling through your squads and looking at the unit roster. The way CMSF worked, however, was to make dead men just disappear from the roster with no indication that they had been there at the start of the scenario.

In a scenario that starts with some depleted squads, you'll have to mentally compare the roster now with the roster at the start. (Is that seven-man squad one that started with seven, or is it one that started with nine or ten men? What about this other seven-man squad, and this nine-man squad? etc.) Sure, your brain can do it, but it will be a hassle and detrimental to situational awareness.

All this would be unnecessary if dead men/weapons simply stayed on the roster but, say, turned red. That way you would know at a glance who has taken casualties.

All this would be unnecessary if dead men/weapons simply stayed on the roster but, say, turned red. That way you would know at a glance who has taken casualties.

This information is available in the lower left window. It also tells you what every soldier is doing at the moment.

In CMSF you can enhance the casualty-visibility by using a mod that adds a cross to the casualties.

This information is available in the lower left window. It also tells you what every soldier is doing at the moment.

In CMSF, the casualty is only listed bottom-left until they've been buddy-aided or otherwise cleared from the battlefield. Is it different in CMBN?

In CMSF, the casualty is only listed bottom-left until they've been buddy-aided or otherwise cleared from the battlefield.

Yes, this is the problem. They disappear from that list just as they disappear from the roster.

Plus, the fact of having to look in two separate places (one of them a text list, one of them visually iconic, both of them incomplete after casualties) to piece together what your squad is doing is just not good information design.

I love love love CM, but I would love to see this changed.