Toasters around the world?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toaster

Now I have an interest in toasters : ) They are almost ubiquitous in UK households particularly since the loss of eye-level grills. I wondered whether they were common elsewhere.

My interest has been sparked as our UK Consumer Association , Which?, has just done a survey and recommended best buys. The interesting part was the claim that on average toasters last about three years, expensive ones last slightly longer - apparently 6 months longer. 70% fail because the elements go.

I found the article rather annoying as my toaster is eighteen years old and I have replaced the elements twice. So does the consumer advice mention replacing elements? NO. not a whisper.

Am I being unreasonable in expecting a Consumer Association to give me the full guff?

BTW it is a Dualit and they say their elements fit all their toasters made over the last 50 years. [except the new lite model]. The reason I bought one in the first place was in my works canteen they had a 26 year old model.

They were fairly ubiquitous in US kitchens in the '50s when I was growing up. Seem a bit less so now. At least, I don't see them as often in the kitchens I visit. As for longevity, again an informal survey would suggest at least a life of 6-12 years of frequent use back in those days. They didn't necessarily brown as evenly or have some of the features of more recent models.

Michael

I love toast, but I think it may have fallen some out of favor in the rush to cut carbs and butter...still...nothing like a warm slice of buttered toast though...

As for age..my mother still has one in her kitchen that she got probably 15 yrs ago..I am not sure how often it is used anymore, but is is at least "occasionally" and still works well...just that nice touch of golden brown...damn..making myself hungry here...

I'd say about 100% of NZ households have one. My last one was 2nd had from my parents - I don't know how long they had it - and needed a replacement cord befoer it went "phut" after 8 years.

Possibly I could have replaced the elements, but at $16 (about US$13, UKL5.50) for a new one it seemed like a waste of time and effort.

I'd also say 100% of Aussie households have one to prepare the substrate for their Vegemite.

We probably replace one every 2 years or so under relatively heavy family use, including the Mrs jamming it full of baguette chunks. Worst one was a super el-cheapo model bought at the supermarket for about $20. Only lasted 6 months or so. Like SO says, the cost of repair is often not worth the hassle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toaster

Now I have an interest in toasters : ) They are almost ubiquitous in UK households particularly since the loss of eye-level grills. I wondered whether they were common elsewhere.

Is that a unintentional pun? That's the first time i've heard of such a device and it seems a really daft place to put a open grill.

My stove still has a griller but I have a toaster that I've had for about 6 years. The one before that I replaced while it was still working after about 6 years.

Concur with SO and Aff, except that we also have a Dualit, and I've got no intention of replacing it. Ever.

Aff: the Dualit has nice wide slots, so you can comfortably fit big chunks of bagel, bap, baguette, or whatever. Lovely toaster.

Hoolaman - : )

Seriously having a grill situated at eye level was infinitely more easy to use than one where you has to bend to keep an eye on the toasting progress.

You can get them as a separate piece of kit:

http://www.kitchensolutions.co.uk/parry-electric-salamander-grill-1872-supplied-with-branding-plate-and-wall-brackets.html

Funnily enough my timer on the Dualit is now playing up - I should have never taken it apart on Monday - but I can still buy the timer : )

Unfortunately no shed and with a thin layer of clay over chalk on an appreciable slope not much in the way of a garden.

Actually that sounds lame as it depends what you are used to as what is "not much". Because of the soil we have containers for 3 blueberries, one gooseberry, one gojiberry and a raspberry. In all I bought 50 spun aluminium pots about 47cm high by 38cm across so we could grow salads and herbs etc. But we do have ceanothus, berberis, magnolia , bay , laurels, several different cotoneasters, salvias, dogwood, lavender, fuschia, blackberries, ash, fatsia, mahonia, viburnums and oak trees growing from the soil. And also succulents/sedums for the very sunny and dry front of house. The plot is about 120' x 80' and 60% lawn.

Actually when I think back to Australian or Canadian gardens there are actually a lot of different plants here, more than in Sidney or Toronto gardens. I suspect gardening has grown more popular in the last few decades but those climates are not that friendly really.

He lives in luxury. Until he has kids.

Lamb loin chops are the best, easily the best, done on a grill. The only steak worth grilling is the scotch fillet (and if you can afford either of these, all the best - you made good life decisions). But cleaning the buggers of the rendered grease is a pain.

Grilled toasted cheese - mozzarella, tomato, spring onions and a sprinkling of pepper. Heaven in a heart attack. I miss the grill.