Will be enought a nVidia 6800?

The standard suggestion has been to download the CMSF demo (or the CM:Afghanistan demo for a change of pace) and see how your rig handles them. I'm playing the Beta on an old Bootcamped imac I bought 4-5 years ago. Not a 'gaming' setup by any stretch of the imagination. I actually wish I had an Nvidia card :)

The standard suggestion has been to download the CMSF demo (or the CM:Afghanistan demo for a change of pace) and see how your rig handles them. I'm playing the Beta on an old Bootcamped imac I bought 4-5 years ago. Not a 'gaming' setup by any stretch of the imagination. I actually wish I had an Nvidia card :)

It's not an option for me... because i'm asking not for my PC... it's a present for my cousin, and i doesn't want to leak the surprise.

I can't use my cousin's PC to make a test... he is intelligent and will suspect something.

He never played CMSF... he doesn't like the modern asymetrical warfare at all.

The game should run OK on a GeForce 6800 class video card. It may not be the best performance, but it will run.

My own PC has a nVidia 8600 GTS with an AMD X2 (dual core) 4200+ and i can play to CMSF.

But how much worse will be an nVidia 6800 with an AMD 3500+ ?

Any player here had similar specs to play CMSF?. First hand accounts will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I tried out the CMSF 1.30 Demo on the following system:

Sempron LE-1250 (2.2GHz, 512K L2 cache, single core, AM2/DDR2)

2GB DDR2-667 RAM

GeForce 6800GS AGP (factory overclock, 370MHz vs. 350MHz core, 1050MHz vs. 1000MHz memory)

The Sempron LE-1250 has the same clock speed, cache size and core count as the Athlon 64 3500+. The main difference is that the Sempron is an AM2 socket using DDR2 RAM, while the 3500+ is a 939 socket CPU using DDR RAM.

With a fresh install of Windows XP SP3 and the Nvidia 266.58 drivers I ran the CMSF 1.30 demo at 1920x1200 with the '3D Model Quality' and '3D Texture Quality' set to 'Better'. No additional antialiasing (AA) or anisotropic filtering (AF) settings were used. FRAPS reported a framerate of between 7-15fps using the 'USMC Going to Town' scenario.

Reducing the resolution and/or the 'quality' settings in the 'Options' panel probably would have increased the frame rate a noticeable amount.

CMBN is probably a little more intensive graphically than CMSF, primarily due to the new tree models and the more verdant landscape (more textures and models). So I would hazard a guess that the above test should probably be a fairly accurate gauge of running CMBN at a possibly lower resolution and/or 'quality' setting.