Two on board artillery questions

German on-board 75mm light howitzer and 150mm monster howitzer are both able to do indirect fire support. As a matter of fact, I started a scenario recently against the AI, I heard a massive "BOOM!" coming from one end of the map and saw an explosion at the far end. The on-map howitzers were performing the AI's opening artillery bombardment! I was impressed! :eek:

German on-board 75mm light howitzer and 150mm monster howitzer are both able to do indirect fire support. As a matter of fact, I started a scenario recently against the AI, I heard a massive "BOOM!" coming from one end of the map and saw an explosion at the far end. The on-map howitzers were performing the AI's opening artillery bombardment! I was impressed! :eek:

Mike, those are infantry guns. What I'm refering to are the German and US 75mm and 105mm howitzers. But that does remind me you once mentioned that use of the US 90 mm aa gun in an anti-tank role was a myth. I'd like to hear more about that.

We could spend an enormous amount of time putting in weaponry that was never supposed to be used in a tactical situation, but in theory could be. That's a very poor use of our resources so we're drawing a line between "infantry" type guns and "artillery". Infantry guns will be portrayed, here and there as we go along, but "artillery" will not be.

From what I remember of the last go around on this, the US 90mm AA gun couldn't even depress to engage tanks. At least the early version couldn't, so right there it's out as an AT weapon. The later models were changed so that they could do this but were still not supposed to be deployed as AT weapons and apparently they weren't. Why not? Well, because the US was on the offensive for nearly the entire time the weapons were deployed to Europe. And secondly, there were VERY few of these in theater. IIRC it was something like 120 or so. Extremely rare even if 100% of them were used 100% of the time as AT guns.

50mm Mortars were completely out of service by this time, so they will not be simulated.

Steve

German on-board 75mm light howitzer and 150mm monster howitzer are both able to do indirect fire support.

This is one of the features i am really looking forward too. Completely understand on map arty is not within the scope, but for me inf guns are likely to be used this way.

We could spend an enormous amount of time putting in weaponry that was never supposed to be used in a tactical situation, but in theory could be. That's a very poor use of our resources so we're drawing a line between "infantry" type guns and "artillery". Infantry guns will be portrayed, here and there as we go along, but "artillery" will not be.

Steve

Thanks for your answer. I appreciate where you're coming from, though I encourage you to take another look at it when you do the Bulge game as in my admittedly limited knowledge of that battle, I believe howitzers played an important part in the US roadblocks, and I assume you'll have less on your plate by then. Since I assume vehicles are even more work to add than artillery pieces, I interpret this to mean we're unlikely to see the Wespe and Hummel even in the third "Battlepack" module.