Is CMBN more/less demanding than CMSF NATO?

You maxed out your setting and are complaining about the framerate. Hmmm...

Wrong! I was not complaining. Dont call me out.

I stated that turning shadows off allows me to run at an increase of 15 FPS (up from a measly 10 or 11 FPS). I was trying to help Nox out by stating what worked for me and what did not work. Yeah, I know we have different systems but who knows he might not have tried it.

There's some mild humor in how everyone wants MORE, BIGGER and FASTER all at the same time. The demands seem contradictory. Plus you want every concievable behavior animated and LOS/LOF spot-on accurate, and six different kinds of uniform, and you also want 70 FPS on top of it all. To their credit CM:BN does come closer to achieving that goal than anyone should reasonaly expect while making darned few compromises on the function of the game engine.

You maxed out your setting and are complaining about the framerate. Hmmm...

Two quality posts there Mikey D!! You stated 3 things that I and everyone else on this forum want!!! Wow!!! How about if you have an urgent need to be on the defensive, just ignore our posts about us not understanding why the game will not run with better frames and go on to the next thread. Unless you are a programmer with knowledge of the engine that will help. If so, I apologize. I think some people tire of hearing this. Nox posted his whole DX diag. file and you did not even give the guy a 'hey, check here" or "hey, this might help". Please.

eniced73 - I did find it a little bit odd that you stated flat out that you wouldn't consider turning model quality down, that may have been what nipped Mikey's ankles. I'm glad that turning off shadows helped, but consider turning model quality down a notch or two if you're really lagging. The visual difference is not huge, but it could help enormously.

noxnoctum - thanks for the info. I saw it when you posted it but things have been busy here. Do you have Vsync on or off? Are you using the latest drivers for your card?

Have you tried turning everything up, including turning anti-aliasing on? Some cards respond better to higher settings. Also you might want to try eniced73's no shadows thing and see how that goes.

As for hardware suggestions - as Steve has often stated, two computers with the same rough specs can vary widely in actual capabilities. I could suggest a card and have it turn out that it doesn't like your motherboard, or your OS, etc. If you're in the market for hardware I would look around for folks with similar setups and see what cards they use and like.

I've got an nVidia GTX 260 and everything runs pretty sweet for me. I'm not saying it'll work in all systems but it's no longer the bleeding edge and can be had for a reasonable cost.

But it's impossible to say "oh get that" because of course, there's so many boards, drivers, revisions, dodgy manufacturers, dodgy builders etc that if BFC was to tell everyone what to buy the customer would be a mite peeved if their system didn't run as others did.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

I guess the main thing is if SF runs OK, the BN will run OK - generally with more trees. Although that's not guaranteed - argh!

Would be helpful if you guys post some FPS from FRAPS. Maybe 15FPS that I am getting is what you guys are calling acceptable. Would be appreciated to gage where we are at.

Maybe someone can pick a map or scenario that we all can load up and test. If everyone is on the same page we can help each other out a little more. I noticed that looking across the Ash Shammas map at pause without the turn running I am getting the same frames as I do when the turn is playing. I am getting around 15FPS. I did notice that if I decrease the quality I get a couple FPS back. I will do this as a last resort as I enjoy the eye candy. Alt-S the sound on and off. I noticed the FPS pretty much doubles for me. Not that I want to play with no sound but maybe a dedicated sound card would help. I have onboard HD audio. Does anyone have a decent Sound Card in which they could take a look at this.

noxnoctum

I'm no expert (which is why I feel totally comfortable posting an answer in an internet forum) but I noticed something interesting about your hardware set-up:

------------------------

Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives

------------------------

Drive: C:

Free Space: 9.7 GB

Total Space: 238.4 GB

File System: NTFS

Model: ST3250824AS

It looks like you only have one hard drive and it only has 4% free space. I have no idea how CM works from a programing point of view (does it write temp files to the hard drive?) but, as a simple man, I start to panic if any of my hard drives reach 90% capacity. Does the frame rate improve if you defrag the hard drive? Perhaps someone who knows more about computers could address this issue.

It looks like you only have one hard drive and it only has 4% free space. I have no idea how CM works from a programing point of view (does it write temp files to the hard drive?) but, as a simple man, I start to panic if any of my hard drives reach 90% capacity. Does the frame rate improve if you defrag the hard drive? Perhaps someone who knows more about computers could address this issue.

Nice catch, this can have an impact on games. I recall a few years ago whenever my HD went below about 15G I noticed performance drop in some games. Besides defragging, you could go to disk cleanup to clear up more space. Also use the "more options" tab and also clean up system restore and shadow copies. I'm on Vista and these backups are usually unnecessary and chew up large amounts of disk space.

Just ran mine myself, got 22G from clearing system restore and shadow copies. Then got 1.2G from the normal disk cleanup. Unless your having trouble with your PC then should be fine deleting all but the most recent restore point.

I had to change my system restore settings in task manager. That and shadow copies were chewing up tons of space.

My reply to you is just above Other Means' post, noxnoctum.

Ya I turned EVERYTHING down to the lowest setting (fastest) including going down to 1024x768. Still average about 20 FPS. It's playable, but really uncomfortable.

Then I maxed everything out to "Better" and was still averaging 20 FPS lol. It's like my settings have no effect whatsoever on how well the game runs. (and yes I made sure to restart the game after changing the settings).

Then I maxed it to "Best" and turned AA on and dropped to about ~15 average FPS. Still, very tiny difference considering I went from LOWEST settings to HIGHEST. I've never seen this is in a game before... any suggestions?

And ya my drivers are up to date, and I don't have anything running in the background except for my AV. (I tried turning that off too, no change in framerate).

Oh ya and I don't see an option to turn off/on shadows... where is it??

Guess my computer just sucks. I'm mystified as to why turning graphics way down didn't make any difference though.

Ya I turned EVERYTHING down to the lowest setting (fastest) including going down to 1024x768. Still average about 20 FPS. It's playable, but really uncomfortable.

Then I maxed everything out to "Better" and was still averaging 20 FPS lol. It's like my settings have no effect whatsoever on how well the game runs. (and yes I made sure to restart the game after changing the settings).

Then I maxed it to "Best" and turned AA on and dropped to about ~15 average FPS. Still, very tiny difference considering I went from LOWEST settings to HIGHEST. I've never seen this is in a game before... any suggestions?

And ya my drivers are up to date, and I don't have anything running in the background except for my AV. (I tried turning that off too, no change in framerate).

Oh ya and I don't see an option to turn off/on shadows... where is it??

Guess my computer just sucks. I'm mystified as to why turning graphics way down didn't make any difference though.

I believe it's alt+W, maybe check the in-game hotkeys (in the menu/briefing part when you're playing). Also have you tried clearing out your HDD as suggested by the posters above?