5th largest earthquake since 1900 hits japan

rune

My thoughts go out to Japan, suffering major damage and tsunami damage after a 8.9 earthquake hit this morning. Warnings actually extend to Hawaii and California. The videos I have seen already have been chilling. Thoughts and prayers go out to Japan.

Rune

NOAA had earlier published a list of locations on the West Coast of North America that had measurable instances of the tsunami. Crescent City, CA had the highest of almost 2.5 meters above normal sea level. Most locations reported less than a third of that, so we came off lightly.

Michael

Not as bad as it initially seemed regarding the reactor. There are lots of brave guys working in ****ty conditions there right now, I imagine. I remember the images of Mi-8 or somesuch helicopters hovering over the Chernobyl reactor, chilling. :(

Not as bad as it initially seemed regarding the reactor. There are lots of brave guys working in ****ty conditions there right now, I imagine. I remember the images of Mi-8 or somesuch helicopters hovering over the Chernobyl reactor, chilling. :(

Imagine the giant lizards that are now stirring under the ocean!

Geonet is operated by Japan's Geographical Survey Institute (GSI). Work on the array began in 1993, and it has now grown into the largest GPS network in the world, according to the GSI.

Its data show a movement eastwards of up to 4m in coastal areas of Japan.

Dr Ken Hudnut, a geophysicist at the US Geological Survey (USGS) in Pasadena, California, told MSNBC that information resources linking GPS readings to maps, such as driving directions and property records, would have to be changed as a result of the shift.

"Their national network for property boundary definitions has been warped," he explained. "For ships, the nautical charts will need revision due to changed water depths, too (of about 3ft). Much of the coastline dropped by a few feet, too, we gather."

have cross-posted it also to my redudancy systems thread!